Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Stefan Viljoen <sv...@polard.com> on 2005/11/27 09:11:56 UTC

[NET] FTP - How to connect through a challenge / response firewall sequence

Hi guys

I have to write a FTP app that does the above - the app works perfectly
outside the target network's firewall, but from behind it is a mess.

The procedure used on a FTP commandline inside the firewall is to specify the
target machine outside the firewall by doing

1. ftp targetmachine.com
2. The firewall comes back and asks for a firewall username and password,
which the user provides in the terminal in the format
localusername@firewallusername@remoteftpmachine. The firewall then prompts
for a password, which is provided in the form
remote_machine_password@firewall_password   The firewall responds with a
notice

331
331 User DN : CN-ITBMEVD.OU-FW-PW.PUKNET
331 Account Unit:  netscapewww1
331 -

3. Only after doing this is the remote FTP connection made.

The "firewall" FTP server identifies itself as "Check Point Firewall-1 Secure
FTP server running on fw"

How can I accomodate this challenge / response cycle into my FTP app using
Commons.net? Currently, it is impossible for my FTP application to connect
from behind this firewall, since it does not execute the above challenge /
response sequence, and the firewall then appropriately ignores the socket
request to establish the FTP connection to the machine outside the firewall
causing an IOException.

ANY help or pointers appreciated!

Thanks...
--
Stefan Viljoen
Software Support Technician / Programmer

Mobile: (+27) 83 4060854
Tel: (+27) 18 297 1753
Fax: (+27) 18 290 5556
http://polard.com

Re: [NET] FTP - How to connect through a challenge / response firewall sequence

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hi Stefan!
> localusername@firewallusername@remoteftpmachine. The firewall then prompts
> for a password, which is provided in the form
> remote_machine_password@firewall_password

...cut...
> How can I accomodate this challenge / response cycle into my FTP app using
> Commons.net?
So, you already tried to configure [NET] with the above username/password?

If yes, could you post the exception please?

---
Mario