Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com> on 2012/07/23 17:55:32 UTC

svnmerge.py (Was: Re: mergeinfo ignorance)

Is this still useful: svnmerge.py ?

	http://www.orcaware.com/svn/wiki/Svnmerge.py

Re: svnmerge.py (Was: Re: mergeinfo ignorance)

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.
Jim Jagielski wrote on Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 11:55:32 -0400:
> Is this still useful: svnmerge.py ?
>
> 	http://www.orcaware.com/svn/wiki/Svnmerge.py

For 1.4 repositories (regardless of server software version) yes.  I'd
not use both svnmerge.py and 'svn merge' on the same branch, that's just
asking for trouble/headaches.

http://subversion.apache.org/docs/release-notes/1.5#compatibility

Re: svnmerge.py (Was: Re: mergeinfo ignorance)

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.
On 07/23/2012 08:55 AM, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> Is this still useful: svnmerge.py ?
>
> 	http://www.orcaware.com/svn/wiki/Svnmerge.py

It still gets occasional usage and people occasionally ask questions
about it (such as today) but I recommend people switch to svn's builtin
merge tracking if they are running svn 1.6 or later.

Blair

Re: svnmerge.py (Was: Re: mergeinfo ignorance)

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
On 23.07.2012 17:55, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> Is this still useful: svnmerge.py ?
>
> 	http://www.orcaware.com/svn/wiki/Svnmerge.py

A quick check of

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/subversion/trunk/contrib/client-side/svnmerge/

and the mailing list activity suggests, that there isn't much going on
for the tools since about 2009.

There's a user post asking for differences to "svn merge" at

http://www.orcaware.com/pipermail/svnmerge/2011-May/002144.html

So it seems it only has limited use nowadays.

The tools seems to go back to very early svn days. svn merge isn't too
bad IMHO. But YMMV.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
Nah... obsoleted by merge tracking (svn:mergeinfo) with the svn 1.5 release.

Please ignore that script and use svn merge.

And also that svn is a TLP sibling nowadays can surely help :-)

Cheers,
-g

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.