Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Rick Schumeyer <rs...@ieee.org> on 2007/05/10 22:01:11 UTC

Are S2 actions POJOs?

It's quite possible I'm confused, but I thought that actions in S2 were
now POJOs.  In Webwork in Action, for example, we see:

public class HelloWorld implements Action

but in the blank application we see

public class ExampleSupport extends ActionSupport

Is this an example where Webwork in Action is out-of-date, or can you
still do something like that with S2?  If so, is there a reason why I
*would not* want to use POJOs with an Action interface?

Re: Are S2 actions POJOs?

Posted by Don Brown <do...@gmail.com>.
You were correct - Actions in S2 can be POJO's.  They don't need to
implement or extend anything, and in fact, don't even need any
annotations.  Now, we still do have an Action interface with a single
execute method that you can implement if you'd like, and we also have
several support classes you can extend - ActionSupport and
DefaultActionSupport - with the latter being the preferred superclass.

How Struts 2 handles things like localisation, validation, error and
normal messages, etc., is through decorating your Action with certain
interfaces like Validatable and TextProvider.  These support classes
implement many of these extra interfaces, saving you time and code,
but as I mentioned, they are completely optional.

Don

Re: Are S2 actions POJOs?

Posted by אלחנן מעין <em...@msn.com>.
although i haven't done much of web frameworks development i recommend
against turning you actions, into the actuall pojos, develop as much pojos
as you can, with only pure java elements (or commons utils for allready been
there done that fame of mine), test them as though they are alone in the
planet, and use the actions around them. the reason for this, is that in my
opinion, is that sooner or later you may need to have frameworks'
interfaces,utils, or abstract classes to make it easy for you,maybe becouse
of a bug in the framework itself (like databinding in timepicker), but when
you do that, when you let a single import of opensymphony's creep into you
pure java code, then you allready coupled your core model into A framework.

allow your actions to be  the convergence of "dirty" code, the meeting place
between business and web actiions, use as much of the framworks abilties
ONLY there (anntoatins, abstract classes etc...) and let everything else be
taken care of by pure java.

Re: Are S2 actions POJOs?

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.