Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by Sean Machin <s_...@hotmail.com> on 2002/08/12 18:21:04 UTC

SOAP practical issues

Hi All,

I am thinking about using SOAP for a relatively simple remote data logging
application.  In a nutshell, I'd like to have several
remote systems act as SOAP servers, and be able to periodically
query them from a central computer via SOAP to retrieve data.
I have made a simple prototype system and tested it on
a local machine (i.e. one machine acting as client and server),
using Apache SOAP & Tomcat on Linux.

I wanted to ask the group their opinion on:

- how to stop someone doing a denial of service attack on the SOAP servers?
- generally how secure is a SOAP server to attacks by hackers?
- ease of interoparability between C++ and Java SOAP implementations (may
have to use C++ on the remote machines)?
- applicability of using Tomcat or one of the embedded
servers like Jetty for the remote sites (these will have a relatively light
load, typically only one client connecting at any time), i.e. are
they robust enough for real-world use?

I'd also really like to hear of any success stories of people using SOAP in
the real world for applications similar to the above.

Thanks for any responses,
Sean