Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Anish Damodaran <An...@infosys.com> on 2008/04/22 08:48:58 UTC

regarding a query on the support of hadoop on windows.

Hello Sir,
I'm currently evaluating hadoop for windows. I would like to know the following
1. It is possible for us to use hadoop without Cygwin as of now? If not, how feasible is it to use modify the scripts to support windows?
2. Does the efficiently decrease on account of the fact that hadoop on windows run on Cygwin?
3. Is some work happening with Hadoop to make it production level on windows platform?
4. I would like to know if there are any hadoop deployments on Windows platform?
5. Is there a way for me to contribute to Hadoop for windows platform?

Hoping to get answers to these questions.

Thanks & Regards,
Anish

RE: regarding a query on the support of hadoop on windows.

Posted by dhruba Borthakur <dh...@yahoo-inc.com>.
As far as I know, you need cygwin to install and run hadoop. The fact
that you are using cygwin to run hadoop has almost negligible impact on
the performance and efficiency of the hadoop cluster. Cyhgin is mostly
needed for the install and configuration scripts. There are a few small
portions of cluster code that needs cygwin (e.g. creating snapshots,
detaching blocks, etc), but their overall impact on cluster performance
and throughout is negligible.

New contributions and Contributors to Hadoop are always welcome. The
project "issue" database can be found at
http://hadoop.apache.org/core/issue_tracking.html. This would be a
starting point for new developers to browse existing bugs/enhancements
that are being worked on. You can create a new issue and propose the
contribution(s) that you plan to make.

Hope this helps,
dhruba

Posted by Anish Damodaran <An...@infosys.com>.