Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Vidhya Kailash <vi...@gmail.com> on 2018/10/24 20:22:11 UTC

Solr cluster tuning

We are currently using Solr Cloud Version 7.4 with SolrJ api to fetch data
from collections. We recently deployed our code to production and noticed
that response time is more if the number of incoming requests are less.

But strangely, if we bombard the system with more and more requests we get
much better response time.

My suspicion is client is closing the connections sooner in case of slower
requests and slower in case of faster requests.

We tried tuning by passing custom HTTPClient to SolrJ and also by updating
HttpShardHandlerFactory settings. For example we made -
maxThreadIdleTime = 60000
socketTimeOut = 180000

Wondering what other tuning we can do to make this perform the same
irrespective of the number of requests.

Thanks!

Vidhya

Re: Solr cluster tuning

Posted by Vidhya Kailash <vi...@gmail.com>.
Thank you Erick and Daniel for your prompt responses. We were trying a few
things (moving to G1GC, optimizing by throwing away some fields that need
not be indexed & stored) and hence the late response.

First of all, thought of giving a overview of the environment... We have a
four node Solr Cloud cluster. We have 2 indexes which is spread across 4
shards and has 2 replicas. We have a total of 30GB on each of the nodes
(all dedicated to running the Solr Cloud alone). Of which 15GB are
allocated to the JVM and the rest for the OS to manage. All the indexes
together take up just 1.4GB on the disk. Running version 7.4 with a
dedicated Zookeeper cluster.

Something of concern I see on the Solr Admin is the use of that memory.
[image: image.png]
this is what I see by running Top:
[image: image.png]

Is there a general calculation on how much to leave for OS caching for an
index of 2GB?
To answer Ericks question, no we are not indexing at the same time. In fact
we have stopped indexing just to test the theory and dont see any
improvements. I dont think I need to worry about autocommit then right?
Daniel, we did try what you mentioned here (that is warm up the cache and
then do a slow and a fast test) and we still see the slow test yielding
slower results.

Any thoughts anyone? Much appreciate your responses....

thanks
Vidhya

--
Vidhya Kailash