Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com> on 2011/03/25 18:44:05 UTC

Apache Wicket Cookbook Published!

For the past nine months I have been quietly working on a book about
Wicket. Unlike other books on the market this one does not attempt to
teach you Wicket from the ground up. Instead, it is for developers who
already know the basics and want to learn how to implement some of the
more advanced use cases. Essentially, it contains recipes that show
the reader how to implement solutions to some of, what I think are,
the most commonly asked questions and stumbling blocks. This morning I
was informed that the book has been published! You can read more about
it and pick up a copy on PACKT's Site[1]. I hope you enjoy it, more
details below...

[1] https://www.packtpub.com/apache-wicket-cookbook/book

## Description ##

Apache Wicket is one of the most famous Java web application
frameworks. Wicket simplifies web development and makes it fun. Are
you bored of going through countless pages of theory to find out how
to get your web development done? With this book in hand, you don't
need to go through hundreds of pages to figure out how you will
actually build a web application. You will get practical solutions to
your common everyday development tasks to pace up your development
activities.

Apache Wicket Cookbook provides you with information that gets your
problems solved quickly without beating around the bush. This book is
perfect for you if you are ready to take the next step from tutorials
and step into the practical world. It will take you beyond the basics
of using Apache Wicket and show you how to leverage Wicket's advanced
features to create simpler and more maintainable solutions to what at
first may seem complex problems.

You will learn how to integrate with client-side technologies such as
JavaScript libraries or Flash components, which will help you to build
your application faster. You will discover how to use Wicket paradigms
to factor out commonly used code into custom Components, which will
reduce the maintenance cost of your application, and how to leverage
the existing Wicket Components to make your own code simpler.

A straightforward Cookbook with highly focused practical recipes to
make your web application development easier with the Wicket web
framework

## What you will learn from this book ##

* Leverage Wicket to implement a wide variety of both simple and
advanced use cases in a narrative that gets straight to the point
* Make forms work in the crazy world of the Web by learning the ways
of Wicket's form processing
* Simplify localizing your Wicket applications
* Take the boring out of your forms by discovering how to improve the
user experience while simplifying your code at the same time
* Leverage the built-in Table component to make displaying tabular data a snap
* Think Wicket's Borders are not very useful? Learn to use them in
unexpected places to simplify things
* See how to integrate with Flash components and create interactive
charts at the same time
* Web 1.0 too boring? Learn how to tame Wicket's AJAX support and
bring your application into Web 2.0
* Simplify your security code by learning various security techniques
* An application cannot be built with Wicket alone; see how to make it
play nice with other frameworks

## Approach ##

This is a hands-on practical guide to a large variety of topics and
use cases. This book tries to use real-world examples when possible,
but is not afraid to come up with a contrived pretext if it makes
explaining the problem simpler. Unlike a lot of other books, this one
does not try to maintain a continuous theme from chapter to chapter,
such as demonstrating solutions on the same fictional application;
doing so would be almost impossible given the wide variety of recipes
presented here. Instead, this book concentrates on focused problems
users are likely to encounter and shows clear solutions in a
step-by-step manner. This book tries to teach by example and is not
afraid to show a lot of code because, after all, it is for coders.

## Who this book is written for ##

This book is for current users of the Apache Wicket framework; it is
not an introduction to Wicket that will bore you with tons of theory.
You are expected to have built or maintained a simple Wicket
application in the past and to be looking to learn new and better ways
of using Wicket. If you are ready to take your Wicket skills to the
next level this book is for you.

Cheers, and I hope you enjoy the book!
-Igor

Re: Apache Wicket Cookbook Published!

Posted by Peter Ertl <pe...@gmx.org>.
Kudos!

Great work Igor :-)

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.
Another baby, congrats!

Posted by "robert.mcguinness" <ro...@gmail.com>.
purchased!

Re: Apache Wicket Cookbook Published!

Posted by Bruno Borges <br...@gmail.com>.
Excelent piece of work Igor.

You should keep a copy in the Library of Alexandria. :-)

Congratulations!

Bruno Borges
www.brunoborges.com.br
+55 21 76727099

"The glory of great men should always be
measured by the means they have used to
acquire it."
 - Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Posted by mb...@gmail.com.

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Lurlay, Patrick" <Pa...@boeing.com>.
Yeah, Igor, I am reading the book too. It is excellent

Posted by Mathias Nilsson <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeremy Thomerson <je...@wickettraining.com>.
I had the privilege of previewing the book's content over the past few
months, and I can tell you that this book is going to be worth every penny
and then some!  I'd recommend it for every Wicket develop out there - even
if you think you've already "done it all".  I guarantee you'll pick up a
trick or two - I did!

--
Jeremy Thomerson
http://wickettraining.com

Posted by jcgarciam <jc...@gmail.com>.
Congrats!!
I will order mine!

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 7:48 PM, Attila Király [via Apache Wicket] <
ml-node+3406630-1722189058-65838@n4.nabble.com> wrote:

> Gratulations! I ordered one.
>
> Attila
>
> 2011/3/25 Igor Vaynberg <[hidden email]<http://user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=3406630&i=0&by-user=t>>
>

> > For the past nine months I have been quietly working on a book about
> > Wicket...
>

> ------------------------------
> below:
>
> http://apache-wicket.1842946.n4.nabble.com/Apache-Wicket-Cookbook-Published-tp3406012p3406630.html
>  To start a new topic under Apache Wicket, email
> ml-node+1842946-398011874-65838@n4.nabble.com

Sincerely,
JC (http://www.linkedin.com/in/jcgarciam)
--Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.--

Re: Apache Wicket Cookbook Published!

Posted by Attila Király <ki...@gmail.com>.
Gratulations! I ordered one.

Attila

Posted by Cemal Bayramoglu <jW...@cabouge.com>.
Looks as good as any PDF on the Kindle.

I've been looking forward to this, thanks Igor!

Regards - Cemal
jWeekend
Training, Consulting, Development
http://jWeekend.com

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pierre Goupil <go...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nivedan Nadaraj <sh...@gmail.com>.
Great stuff! Will get a copy!

Cheers
Niv

On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 1:52 AM, Brown, Berlin [GCG-PFS] <

Posted by "Brown, Berlin [GCG-PFS]" <Be...@Primerica.com>.
Congrats.

I trust Igor

Posted by nimmy <ni...@hotmail.com>.
Congratulations on the book! My dead-tree format is in the post!

Re: Apache Wicket Cookbook Published!

Posted by Matthias Gasser <ma...@gmail.com>.
Thx!

Got it, and it is well done.

Cheers,
Matthias
--
http://matthiasgasser.com

Posted by Bertrand Guay-Paquet <be...@step.polymtl.ca>.

Posted by Jeremy Thomerson <je...@wickettraining.com>.

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.
Another baby, congrats!

Posted by Jonathan Locke <jo...@gmail.com>.
Cool!

Re: Apache Wicket Cookbook Published!

Posted by andrea del bene <an...@libero.it>.
You are in good company :-). I've ordered my copy on 31 March and I
still waiting patiently for it.

@Martijn
Nice pic :-)!

Posted by Don Ferguson <do...@gmail.com>.
It seemed to take forever (a few weeks) to get mine.  The PDF came right away tho.

Posted by Tomasz Dziurko <td...@gmail.com>.
I ordered my copy to Poland almost two weeks ago and still no printed
version :/ But PDF on my Kindle is working fine :)

--
Best regards / Pozdrawiam,
Tomasz Dziurko

Re: Apache Wicket Cookbook Published!

Posted by splitshade <ma...@googlemail.com>.
I Got mine today,

well done and thank you for all the great work!

Regards

Martin

Re: Apache Wicket Cookbook Published!

Posted by Marco Springer <ma...@gmail.com>.
Haha I believe you, but I'm itching to receive the paper version :)

I'm reading through the PDF, but I'm more of a fan of physical books.

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
Proof: http://t.co/7BLlwI3

Posted by Marco Springer <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by shetc <sh...@bellsouth.net>.
Yippee! My book has arrived.

Re: Apache Wicket Cookbook Published!

Posted by shetc <sh...@bellsouth.net>.
Congrats! Bought a copy -- glad to see that the merchant vendor is Royal Bank
of Scotland. Scotland the Brave!

RE: Apache Wicket Cookbook Published!

Posted by Wilhelmsen Tor Iver <To...@arrive.no>.
> I have this book on order; I look forward to studying it.

"Order", is that what you have when you do not just buy the PDF edition and open it in iBooks on your iPad - like I did? :)

(Just for completeness I also clicked the "I want this for Kindle" link at Amazon to give a suggestion to aid those that prefer that channel for their e-books.)

- Tor Iver

Re: Apache Wicket Cookbook Published!

Posted by Ian Marshall <Ia...@GMail.com>.
I have this book on order; I look forward to studying it.

My "Wicket in Action" and "Coding: On Software Design Process" books are
eager to welcome a new member to their high quality book area.

Ian Marshall

Re: Apache Wicket Cookbook Published!

Posted by Jan Kriesten <kr...@mail.footprint.de>.

Re: Apache Wicket Cookbook Published!

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.
Another baby, congrats!

Posted by Jeremy Thomerson <je...@wickettraining.com>.

Posted by Mihai Postelnicu <mp...@developmentgateway.org>.
I've just ordered a copy and already received the eBook ! :)

Thanks Igor !

Mihai

On 04/13/2011 07:43 PM, Igor Vaynberg wrote:
> thanks! i am happy you are enjoying it!
>
> -igor
>

> On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 1:24 AM, lucast<lu...@hotmail.com>  wrote:
>> Hi Igor,
>> Congratulations on your new book. I have already got a copy and I have been
>> using it as reference from day 1. I particularly like the straightforward
>> structure: this is the scenario, this is how you implement it. It is very
>> well written.
>> I find the data tables section particularly useful as I'm implementing a
>> search functionality that will use data tables to list the results.
>> Great job and I thoroughly recommend the book.
>>
>> --

*Mihai Postelnicu*, Software Architect
*Development Gateway*
1889 F Street N.W. . Second Floor . Washington, D.C. 20006
(O) +40 780 979 313 . (M) +358 458 782 152 . (Skype) mihaipostelnicu
mpostelnicu@developmentgateway.org
<ma...@developmentgateway.org>
www.developmentgateway.org <http://www.developmentgateway.org/>

Information Tools. Global Partnerships. Effective Aid.

Re: Apache Wicket Cookbook Published!

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.