Posted to users@flex.apache.org by mo...@comcast.net on 2014/04/22 18:46:04 UTC

enterprise desktop web app: should it download or email a file to user?

My enterprise Flex desktop web app (yet to be released) has a feature allowing users to download a user guide for the application.

Since this file gets stored on a user's hard drive (rather than cache memory), I wonder if anyone ever ran into problems with an enterprise not allowing their employees to download a file from the internet to their hard drive (for example, the IT department blocks this kind of functionality)?

If so, I could change the web app to attaching the file in an e-mail and sending it to them instead.

Wondering if anyone has an opinion one way or the other which way to go here.

Re: enterprise desktop web app: should it download or email a file to user?

Posted by mo...@comcast.net.
Thanks for clarifying.

Posted by Sean Thayne <se...@skyseek.com>.

Posted by Sean Thayne <se...@skyseek.com>.

Posted by Lee Burrows <su...@leeburrows.com>.

--
Lee Burrows
ActionScripter

Posted by Sean Thayne <se...@skyseek.com>.

Posted by Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com>.
On 23/04/14 12:10, mark.kessler.ctr@usmc.mil wrote:
> Not ours, it creates a secured tunnel in which we can transfer any file.
Well, you can get creative as defender or attacker :)

Tom

RE: enterprise desktop web app: should it download or email a file to user?

Posted by ma...@usmc.mil.
> Of course they can, anything from a read only temporary files area to a
> content filtering proxy.

Not ours, it creates a secured tunnel in which we can transfer any file.  This is due to the nature of PKI with the clients/server certificates.   They cannot play man in the middle or the client cannot authenticate with the server.

-Mark

> If your connect is https to a site you are allowed too, they will not be able to block a file download.
Of course they can, anything from a read only temporary files area to a
content filtering proxy.

I'd provide both on (http(s)) and offline (email) options, as long as
you thing this might be an issue for your users, then you are covered.
We've probably spent more time discussing it then adding the button to
the Flex app and server-side support for sending an email :-)

Tom

Re: enterprise desktop web app: should it download or email a file to user?

Posted by Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com>.