Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Peter Crowther <Pe...@melandra.com> on 2009/03/17 14:55:11 UTC

[OT] RE: Vmware Server 2 web interface uses tomcat but hogs 8005 and 8009

> From: Christopher Schultz [mailto:chris@christopherschultz.net]
> On 3/17/2009 4:18 AM, Rainer Frey (Inxmail GmbH) wrote:
> > On Monday 16 March 2009 22:42:27 Christopher Schultz wrote:
> >>
> >> Can you clarify this a bit?
> >
> > There is no special management instance. VMWare Server is
> an application that
> > runs on a regular host operating system instance (it
> installs linux kernel
> > modules though, and probably also Windows drivers).
>
> Interesting. This used to be called "VMWare Workstation".

Not entirely.  VMware Server has also (for many years) run on a normal OS.  I first looked at it in around 2002, but the price was prohibitive for us.  Luckily, competition in the virtualisation market has brought the price down to near zero for the simpler products.

The difference has been in the capabilities, as Workstation initially provided enhanced I/O (for example the ability to connect to USB devices on the host) whereas Server initally scaled to multiple guests on one host.

And, yes, both put a lot of drivers onto the host!

                - Peter