Posted to dev@taverna.apache.org by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org> on 2016/06/06 14:28:16 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Taverna Command-line Tool 3.1.0-incubating RC3

(Third time lucky..? :)

I am pleased to be calling this vote for the source release of

  Apache Taverna Engine 3.1.0-incubating
  Apache Taverna Common Activities 2.1.0-incubating
  Apache Taverna Command-line Tool 3.1.0-incubating

This is the third release candidate, fixing a license header issue.
If you tested an earlier RC, make sure you delete the folder
~/.m2/repository/org/apache/taverna/ (or equivalent) before building.

To discuss this release candidate, use the corresponding [DISCUSS] thread.

Apache Taverna Engine executes Taverna workflows, defined using
Apache Taverna Language or Taverna 2's .t2flow format, and
provides OSGi services for monitoring and controlling the
detailed execution of workflow.

Apache Taverna Common Activities provide bindings for the
Taverna Engine to invoke activities such as
command line tools (local/ssh), Beanshell scripts,
REST and WSDL services, spreadsheet import and
user interactions.

Apache Taverna Command-line Tool provides a shell command
for executing Taverna workflows, with output of results to either
a folder or a Research Object bundle including detailed provenance.
In addition to the Taverna Common Activities, the Command-line
supports plugins using Taverna OSGi services.

The release candidates to be voted over are available at:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/taverna/source/rc3/taverna-engine-3.1.0-incubating/

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/taverna/source/rc3/taverna-common-activities-2.1.0-incubating/

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/taverna/source/rc3/taverna-commandline-3.1.0-incubating/

Build the release candidate *in the above order*, using:

    mvn clean install

On a multi-core machine with a fast disk you may achieve a speed-up with:

    mvn clean install -T1.5C

SHA-1 checksums:

cccbdaf2cac2a05df55c62d03d6308ac75f72a58
apache-taverna-engine-3.1.0-incubating-source-release.zip
94d15c4c1dbd1021b8726e584810a6030e90a16c
apache-taverna-common-activities-2.1.0-incubating-source-release.zip
71ba1a84cf1cb7293de3fef5bbeb81b353634698
apache-taverna-commandline-3.1.0-incubating-source-release.zip

MD5 checksums:

276c36375b28c2a7a01fbb48c8cf66ea
apache-taverna-engine-3.1.0-incubating-source-release.zip
fccf07b3d6fe7245c67466e75fcd840b
apache-taverna-common-activities-2.1.0-incubating-source-release.zip
948b7f0fae080ac4be802571d182a5cb
apache-taverna-commandline-3.1.0-incubating-source-release.zip

The release candidates correspond to the following git commits:

https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-taverna-engine.git;a=commit;h=403dbc4a5984798b2ea98dfb37314128b50b2bcf

https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-taverna-common-activities.git;a=commit;h=a192c858c65441f33043aeeaa0889e0159a5a4e8

https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-taverna-commandline.git;a=commit;h=2db7d9f823e895d33ef2107ebfe5d70ed20e1fc7

Release candidates are signed with a GPG key available at:
  https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/taverna/KEYS

A staged Maven repository is available for review at:
  https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetaverna-1015/

The changelog for this release is available from JIRA:

  https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12318322&version=12332249
  https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12318322&version=12332250
  https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12318322&version=12332251

Please vote on releasing these packages as:

  Apache Taverna Engine 3.1.0-incubating
  Apache Taverna Common Activities 2.1.0-incubating
  Apache Taverna Command-line Tool 3.1.0-incubating

The vote is open for at least 72 hours and passes if a
majority of at least three +1 Apache Taverna PPMC votes are cast.

[ ] +1 Release this package
[ ]  0 I don't feel strongly about it, but don't object

Anyone can participate in testing and voting, not just
committers, please feel free to try out the release candidate
and provide your votes.

How to review a release candidate? https://s.apache.org/review-release

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Taverna Command-line Tool 3.1.0-incubating RC3

Posted by Thilina Manamgoda <ma...@gmail.com>.
oh sorry i will try with maven 3.2.5 or later

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
Thanks for testing, Thilina!

Posted by Thilina Manamgoda <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi ,

Re: Fwd: [VOTE] Release Apache Taverna Command-line Tool 3.1.0-incubating RC3

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
On 29 June 2016 at 21:06, Josh Elser <el...@apache.org> wrote:
> +1 (binding)

Thanks, Josh!

>   - command-line's NOTICE has a vague reference as the other projects to
> "Copyright 2010-2014 University of Manchester, UK", but not explicitly what
> applies. Might that be clarified (if it's simple).

It's tricky to be more specific, because for all three repositories
most of the code comes from the software grant from Manchester and was
developed between 2007-2014, but the start year varies per repository
corresponding to their earliest commit.

The exception is where there's something brand new added in the last
years, e.g. GSOC 2016 is adding two new modules to common-activities,
I guess for those we can clarify that they are not included by the
Manchester (c).

I agree that the NOTICE should try to make it clear when the
additional lines can be disregarded, as an example this came up in
Apache Commons VFS, which had borrowed code from Apache Jackrabbit,
but we had to verify that code did NOT come from the original grant
when Jackrabbit entered the incubator [4], and thus did not need to
modify VFS's NOTICE.

> Portions of this software were originally based on the following:
> - Copyright 2007-2014 University of Manchester, UK
> These have been licensed to the Apache Software Foundation under a software grant.

Perhaps we should also work on the exact wording here, that was also
suggested by Justin.  Do we need to mention the software grant?  (We
thought we should include it as the pre-2014 Taverna code was licensed
as LGPL 2.1, which the git log should show)

> The API jar didn't
> contain that portion in its META-INF/NOTICE, but I'm unsure if it actually
> contains code that the Uni has copyright over.

Perhaps it really should, however University of Manchester is not
going to insist on propagating this in META-INF/NOTICE as the code
didn't have such a NOTICE when we did the software grant and code
import [1].

We added Manchester to the top-level NOTICE mainly as a courtesy and
to be true to history (the software was not started in 2014).

The META-INF/NOTICE of most JAR files are auto-generated by
maven-shared-archive-resources applied by the Apache super POM - and
therefore do not mention Manchester.

I don't know a good way to customize this without adding 100s of
src/main/resources/META-INF/NOTICE or LICENSE files, as we have done
now only where legally needed. [3]

Thanks for your review!

[1] https://github.com/apache/incubator-taverna-engine/tree/apache-import-20150223
[2] https://github.com/apache/incubator-taverna-language/blob/master/NOTICE
[3] https://github.com/apache/incubator-taverna-engine/blob/master/taverna-execution-hadoop/src/main/resources/META-INF/LICENSE#L204
[4] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VFS-611

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

* Built from source and ran tests
* xsums/sigs good
* KEYS is up to date
* DISCLAIMER is present
* L&N present in source release artifacts (and also in JARs where
applicable)
   - command-line's NOTICE has a vague reference as the other projects
to "Copyright 2010-2014 University of Manchester, UK", but not
explicitly what applies. Might that be clarified (if it's simple). The
API jar didn't contain that portion in its META-INF/NOTICE, but I'm
unsure if it actually contains code that the Uni has copyright over.
Enging and common activities had some more clarity here, I believe.
* mvn apache-rat:check passes

- Josh

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
Hi, we have +2 already for the below Taverna release candidate (Thanks
Justin and Sergio!) - do we have any other IPMC volunteers..?

Thanks!

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Jun 20, 2016 at 1:49 PM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>
wrote:

> > license text should go in the LICENSE files, while NOTICE should just
> > contain a brief enumeration with some details (file/s, copyright holder,
> > license name and original source) about the third-party source components
> > included.
>
> Agree but just to make clear NOTICE should usually not include copyright
> info about permissive 3rd party licenses. NOTICE should include copyright
> notices that have been removed [1] and required notices [2] but nothing
> more. [3]

Correct.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Taverna Command-line Tool 3.1.0-incubating RC3

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

> I would think this means that the taverna-execution-hadoop.jar file
> (which is distributed in Maven Central) must include the full notice
> "somewhere”,

Yes, it's normally it in a header of a file somewhere in a source release. That’s why it best to put it somewhere and add a pointer to in the LICENSE file [1] so the binary convenience release is covered as well.

> so I hope it's OK that it still remains in its META-INF/NOTICE [3]

No it should not be in NOTICE, agian also [1] i.e. "Under normal circumstances, there is no need to modify NOTICE.”.

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#permissive-deps

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Taverna Command-line Tool 3.1.0-incubating RC3

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
On 20 June 2016 at 12:49, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>> license text should go in the LICENSE files, while NOTICE should just
>> contain a brief enumeration with some details (file/s, copyright holder,
>> license name and original source) about the third-party source components
>> included.
>
> Agree but just to make clear NOTICE should usually not include copyright info about permissive 3rd party licenses. NOTICE should include copyright notices that have been removed [1] and required notices [2] but nothing more. [3]

Thank you both and for the useful links - I was a bit confused by this
for the BSD license, because of the 2nd clause:

>      Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
>      notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
>      documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

I would think this means that the taverna-execution-hadoop.jar file
(which is distributed in Maven Central) must include the full notice
"somewhere", so I hope it's OK that it still remains in
its META-INF/NOTICE [3] - as otherwise I think it would be too easy to
miss for downstream users (including ourselves if we later distribute
the Taverna Command Line as a binary distro).

However I agree this does not need to be in the top-level
taverna-engine/NOTICE, so I've shrunk that back to normal [2], and
added to the end of LICENSE [1]:

> taverna-execution-hadoop/src/main/java/org/pingel/util/CrossProduct.java
> is licensed under a BSD-3 license, see its file headers for details.

Do you think this should be sufficient?

[1] https://github.com/apache/incubator-taverna-engine/blob/master/LICENSE#L203
[2] https://github.com/apache/incubator-taverna-engine/blob/master/NOTICE
[3] https://github.com/apache/incubator-taverna-engine/blob/master/taverna-execution-hadoop/src/main/resources/META-INF/NOTICE
[4] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAVERNA-985

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

1. http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#headers
2. http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#required-third-party-notices
3. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#mod-notice

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Taverna Command-line Tool 3.1.0-incubating RC3

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
On 20 June 2016 at 12:24, Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org> wrote:
> +1 (binding)

Thanks! Much appreciated!

> Non-blocking details I noticed (should be fixed in the next releases):
> * The three artifacts are related with each other, so I'd include some
> extra build information about the order when each one needs to be built.

Agreed.

Added:

https://github.com/apache/incubator-taverna-engine#prerequisites
https://github.com/apache/incubator-taverna-common-activities#prerequisites
https://github.com/apache/incubator-taverna-commandline#prerequisites

> * Some licensing details in NOTICE files (e.g., BSD 3-Clause at
> apache-taverna-engine-3.1.0-incubating/NOTICE and W3C
> apache-taverna-common-activities-2.1.0-incubating/NOTICE) need to be fixed:

Fixed:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAVERNA-985
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAVERNA-986
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAVERNA-987

> * All NOTICE files should be aligned in wording and format (e.g.,
> apache-taverna-commandline-3.1.0-incubating/NOTICE contains wrong year).

Fixed - although we should probably improve the "based on" wording.

> Besides that, the release looks fine for me. Congratulations for such
> milestone, guys!

Thanks for reviewing!

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

So far I've checked: signatures and digests, source releases file layouts,
matched git tags and commit ids, incubator suffix and disclaimer, NOTICE
and LICENSE files, license headers, build sources in a clean environment
(Maven 3.3.9, OpenJDK 1.8.0_91 64-Bit, Debian amd64).

[...]

Cheers,

On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 3:26 PM, Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>
wrote:

> [...]
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12318322&version=12332251
>

> Please vote on releasing these packages as:
>
>   Apache Taverna Engine 3.1.0-incubating
>   Apache Taverna Common Activities 2.1.0-incubating
>   Apache Taverna Command-line Tool 3.1.0-incubating
>

> The vote is open for at least 72 hours and passes if a majority of at
> least three +1 Apache Incubator IPMC votes are cast.
>

> [ ] +1 Release this package
> [ ]  0 I don't feel strongly about it, but don't object
>

> Anyone can participate in testing and voting, not just IPMC members,
> please feel free to try out the release candidate and provide your
> votes!
>
> How to review a release candidate? https://s.apache.org/review-release
>

> --
> Stian Soiland-Reyes
> Apache Taverna (incubating), Apache Commons

Sergio Fernández
Partner Technology Manager
Redlink GmbH
m: +43 6602747925
e: sergio.fernandez@redlink.co
w: http://redlink.co

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Taverna Command-line Tool 3.1.0-incubating RC3

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> This is how it was suggested to us by our mentors; but we're open for
> improvements

Not it any way an issue, it’s just a bit more verbose that notice NOTICE files I’ve seen.

> But is "Public Domain" valid outside US?  Should we append ASF headers
> on it? (That should be allowed if it's PD.. at least if that is done
> by an USAnian)

Public Domain is complex. I'd go with [1] and add a pointer to the text of it’s license in your LICENSE file. [2]

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#can-works-placed-in-the-public-domain-be-included-in-apache-products
2. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#permissive-deps

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Taverna Command-line Tool 3.1.0-incubating RC3

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
On 18 June 2016 at 01:50, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> +1 (binding). Can you fix the LICENSE and NOTICE issues in the next release please.

Thank you - already fixed in master. Getting smarter every day..

> I can help by reviewing the release but I’m at my limit mentor wise sorry.

Always appreciated - thanks!

> - able to compile all from source but it seems the order matters (i.e. you need to compile the engine first) you may want to mention that in README if it’s not already

Of course once these are in Maven Central it won't be a big blocker in the end.

However I agree the build order should be more explicit, so I have
added for the future:

https://github.com/apache/incubator-taverna-engine#prerequisites
https://github.com/apache/incubator-taverna-common-activities#prerequisites
https://github.com/apache/incubator-taverna-commandline#prerequisites

(Note that the linked download pages for engine/common-activities are
only on http:// taverna.staging.apache.org/ for now)

> In apache-taverna-commandline-3.1.0-incubating
> - wording in NOTICE is is a little odd but probably fine.

I guess you mean this section?

> Portions of this software were originally based on the following:
> - Copyright 2010-2014 University of Manchester, UK
> These have been licensed to the Apache Software Foundation under a software grant.

This is how it was suggested to us by our mentors; but we're open for
improvements - this text is the same across our NOTICEs (however the
start-year might vary depending on the code base).

Semantically I guess the software is not based on a copyright.. :)

How about:

?

> - year in NOTICE needs updating

Bah - thanks. Updated. :)

Done - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAVERNA-986

> - LICENSE is missing license for this file [3]

Oops! Well spotted. It is Public Domain, so there is obviously no
requirement to propagate any license,

But is "Public Domain" valid outside US?  Should we append ASF headers
on it? (That should be allowed if it's PD.. at least if that is done
by an USAnian)

Anyway, for information purposes I've added to top-level LICENSE
./taverna-interaction-activity/src/main/resources/json2.js
is Public Domain, see https://github.com/douglascrockford/JSON-js/
and http://www.json.org/js.html

> In apache-taverna-engine-3.1.0-incubating
> - The licence of this file [2] needs to be mentioned in LICENSE not NOTICE [1]. A pointer to the license file is preferred.

Done. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAVERNA-985

(Also as you suggested I put it in META-INF/LICENSE rather than META-INF/NOTICE)

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

+1 (binding). Can you fix the LICENSE and NOTICE issues in the next release please.

> Note that Taverna still suffers from not having enough active mentors

I can help by reviewing the release but I’m at my limit mentor wise sorry.

I checked:
- artefact names contain incubating
- signatures and hashes fine
- DISCLAIMERs exist
- there are issues with LICENSE and NOTICE files mostly items in NOTICE that should be in LICENSE (see below)
- all ASF licensed source files have Apache headers
- no unexpected binaries
- able to compile all from source but it seems the order matters (i.e. you need to compile the engine first) you may want to mention that in README if it’s not already

In apache-taverna-commandline-3.1.0-incubating
- wording in NOTICE is is a little odd but probably fine.
- year in NOTICE needs updating

In apache-taverna-common-activities-2.1.0-incubating
- W3C license info should be moved to LICENSE or preferably to it own file and a pointer to that file added [1]
- LICENSE is missing license for this file [3]

In apache-taverna-engine-3.1.0-incubating
- The licence of this file [2] needs to be mentioned in LICENSE not NOTICE [1]. A pointer to the license file is preferred.

Thanks,
Justin

1.http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#permissive-deps
2. ./taverna-execution-hadoop/src/main/java/org/pingel/util/CrossProduct.java
3. ./taverna-interaction-activity/src/main/resources/json2.js

Fwd: [VOTE] Release Apache Taverna Command-line Tool 3.1.0-incubating RC3

Re: [] Release Apache Taverna Command-line Tool 3.1.0-incubating RC3

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
My vote: +1

Tested:
+ Checksums, signatures
+ mvn apache-rat:check
+ mvn clean install
+ LICENSE, NOTICE

Tested on my Windows 10 preview :)

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
Thank, Ian!

I'll leave it open until 13:00 GMT in case there are any further votes
(Thilina and Alan tested, but didn't vote)

Posted by Ian Dunlop <ia...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Posted by Ian Dunlop <ia...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Ian Dunlop <ia...@gmail.com>.
Hello

Posted by Gale Naylor <Ga...@noventussolutions.com>.
+1

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
> (Third time lucky..? :)
>
> I am pleased to be calling this vote for the source release of
>
>    Apache Taverna Engine 3.1.0-incubating
>    Apache Taverna Common Activities 2.1.0-incubating
>    Apache Taverna Command-line Tool 3.1.0-incubating

> The vote is open for at least 72 hours and passes if a
> majority of at least three +1 Apache Taverna PPMC votes are cast.

One of the few issues that Taverna has before graduation is getting
VOTEs done.  When a TLP, the future-PMC is going to have to be able to
muster the necessary 3 votes for a releases.  The active PPMC of Taverna
is looking minimal.

1/ What about this vote?
2/ How can the pool of active (P)PMC members be grown?

     Andy