Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Massimo Lusetti <ml...@gmail.com> on 2011/01/18 16:31:50 UTC

Why log4j as a compile dep?

Why there's a log4j dep? ... Maybe I'm in the 0.00001% of applications
(who) will need to override this dependency to not use Log4J but why
using slf4j then "force" a log implementation?

Cheers
--
Massimo
http://meridio.blogspot.com

Re: Why log4j as a compile dep?

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
That's a good suggestion.

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 10:19 AM, Robert Zeigler
<ro...@roxanemy.com> wrote:
> Not a compile dependency, that I'm aware of.  How many users start with the quickstart as a basis for new projects? If that's a large percentage, couldn't we move the log4j dependency declaration into the generated pom? Then it's even easier to change for people who want to change it, and removes the fishy dependency in tapestry-core.  Making that change now would need a definite note in upgrade notes so that log4j users who were relying on the tapestry-supplied dependency would know to tweak their pom to add their own dep.
>
> Robert
>
> On Jan 18, 2011, at 1/1812:15 PM , Josh Canfield wrote:
>
>> :) I'm also moving to gradle so it's a different kind of magic.
>>
>> compile("org.apache.tapestry:tapestry-core:$tapestryVersion") {
>>    exclude module: 'slf4j-log4j12'
>>    exclude module: 'log4j'
>> }
>>
>> Making it a compile dependency saves end users from needing to include log4j
>> in their poms (or other dependency managers), but it feels... smelly? There
>> isn't actually a compile dependency, right?
>>
>> Josh
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 8:54 AM, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, but the vast majority will use Log4J, and those enlightened
>>> enough to prefer Logback will also be enlightened enough to know the
>>> Maven pom incantation to include logback and exclude log4j.

>>> --
>>> Howard M. Lewis Ship
>>>
>>> Creator of Apache Tapestry
>>>
>>> The source for Tapestry training, mentoring and support. Contact me to
>>> learn how I can get you up and productive in Tapestry fast!
>>>
>>> (971) 678-5210
>>> http://howardlewisship.com

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: Why log4j as a compile dep?

Posted by Josh Canfield <jo...@gmail.com>.
I'm also running into two other compile dependencies in Hibernate-core:

 org.hibernate:hibernate-core:3.6.0.Final [compile,master,runtime]
 org.hibernate:hibernate-c3p0:3.6.0.Final [compile,master,runtime]

These were mentioned previously in the list, but I just got bit by them. We
shouldn't be depending on anything from the latest and greatest version of
hibernate, and I'm not sure why c3p0 is included at all.

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 10:41 AM, Kalle Korhonen <kalle.o.korhonen@gmail.com

Re: Why log4j as a compile dep?

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.

Re: Why log4j as a compile dep?

Posted by Massimo Lusetti <ml...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 7:19 PM, Robert Zeigler
<ro...@roxanemy.com> wrote:

> Not a compile dependency, that I'm aware of.  How many users start with the quickstart as a basis for new projects? If that's a large percentage, couldn't we move the log4j dependency declaration into the generated pom? Then it's even easier to change for people who want to change it, and removes the fishy dependency in tapestry-core.  Making that change now would need a definite note in upgrade notes so that log4j users who were relying on the tapestry-supplied dependency would know to tweak their pom to add their own dep.

That would be pretty nice.

Cheers
--
Massimo
http://meridio.blogspot.com

Re: Why log4j as a compile dep?

Posted by Robert Zeigler <ro...@roxanemy.com>.

Re: Why log4j as a compile dep?

Posted by Josh Canfield <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Why log4j as a compile dep?

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
Yes, but the vast majority will use Log4J, and those enlightened
enough to prefer Logback will also be enlightened enough to know the
Maven pom incantation to include logback and exclude log4j.

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 7:52 AM, Josh Canfield <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Agreed. I'm moving to logback and have to exclude log4j.
> On Jan 18, 2011 7:32 AM, "Massimo Lusetti" <ml...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Why there's a log4j dep? ... Maybe I'm in the 0.00001% of applications
>> (who) will need to override this dependency to not use Log4J but why
>> using slf4j then "force" a log implementation?
>>
>> Cheers
>> --
>> Massimo
>> http://meridio.blogspot.com