Posted to advocacy@perl.apache.org by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> on 2004/08/13 20:02:32 UTC

Re: Success stories patch

[pinging back the advocacy list]

Frank Wiles wrote:
>   Here is a patch for the Success Stories.  Just cleaned up some
>   mispellings, obvious mistypings, and some minor grammar corrections.

Thanks Frank, committed.

>   I also make sure to add URL: headings for stories that contained URLs
>   in the body, but didn't list them at the top.  I'm assuming that only
>   the URLs after a URL: tag get HREFs, if that isn't the case let me
>   know what the regex looks for and I'll clean up the URLs in the
>   bodies.

No, no need for URL: prefix. All urls m#(http|ftp|etc)://# are
automatically converted into links. But it's good to have the main URL in
the headers as your patch did.

>   I'm not sure about this story:
>
>   http://perl.apache.org/outstanding/success_stories/openscape.org.html
>
>   The site isn't up anymore (domain squatter has it) and it references
>   the site to the point the story almost doesn't make sense.  I'm
>   leaning toward removing it, but I wanted to see what everyone else
>   thought.
>
>   I'll go through the sites page over the weekend.

As we seemed to agree at the advocacy list, we shouldn't not delete sites
that are no longer there. Just indicate that the site used to be
"openscape.org" but is no longer with us. remove the http:// part, justing
leaving the domain name, so it won't get linked.

I thought we could outsmart the death, by doing:
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://openscape.org/
but alas the domain squatter set the robots rule, so we can't even know
whether there were some pages stored in the internet archives.

But we should definitely use http://archive.org/ in the future for those
sites that have ceased to exist, instead of removing the link.

Re: Success stories patch

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Frank Wiles wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 11:02:32 -0700
> Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> wrote:
>

>>No, no need for URL: prefix. All urls m#(http|ftp|etc)://# are
>>automatically converted into links. But it's good to have the main URL
>>in the headers as your patch did.
>

>   Then why don't the perl.apache.org and Calmaeth links have HREFs
>   on these two pages?
>
>   http://perl.apache.org/outstanding/success_stories/allakhazam.com.html
> http://perl.apache.org/outstanding/success_stories/calmaeth.maths.uwa.edu.au.html
>
>   These two pages are what led me to believe only the links listed in
>   the URL: header were linked.

are sorry, <pre> text is not parsed. if you look at the autogenerated pod,
those stories are converted into /^  $line/ format, so they are unparsed.
The idea was to preserve email formatting and not needing to worry about
pod-unsafe characters (<, >, &, etc.)

Alternatively we could replace that with plain text but first having pod
unescaped. This should be just a local fix in ./make.pl. Once this is done
then urls will be linked and text re-wrapped...

>>As we seemed to agree at the advocacy list, we shouldn't not delete
>>sites that are no longer there. Just indicate that the site used to be
>>"openscape.org" but is no longer with us. remove the http:// part,
>>justing leaving the domain name, so it won't get linked.
>>
>>I thought we could outsmart the death, by doing:
>>http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://openscape.org/
>>but alas the domain squatter set the robots rule, so we can't even
>>know whether there were some pages stored in the internet archives.
>>
>>But we should definitely use http://archive.org/ in the future for
>>those sites that have ceased to exist, instead of removing the link.
>

>   That works for me.  Yeah we definitely agree that we don't want to
>   remove stories for sites that no longer exist, but I wasn't sure
>   what we should do about sites that have changed ownership and
>   are obviously not the same site.  I thought it might be confusing to
>   the reader.
>
>   Good idea about using archive.org, I always forget that site exists.

if the ownership changes, and we can give a direct link to the last
snapshot at archive.org, then it's cool. in either case we should explain
that the online version is either not there anymore or that the link that
used to point there doesn't point to the same thing anymore. As usually
old links tend to start pointing to porn sites, which try to cash on the
existing users of those previously non-porn sites.

Re: Success stories patch

Posted by Frank Wiles <fr...@wiles.org>.