Posted to dev@trafficserver.apache.org by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org> on 2018/07/26 19:58:52 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Mark log collation as deprecated for v8.0.0

Hi all,

I’d like to mark the log collation feature as deprecated for the v8.0.0 release, such that we can remove it from v9.0.0. I have a number of reasons for this

1) It’s generally really broken. For example, the orphaned logs files are not handled in any reasonable way, making the feature IMO unusable.

2) No one has stepped up to the plate to fix anything other than the critical issues discovered (such as Peter’s memory leak fix).

3) Perhaps most importantly, this is not a problem that ATS should solve iMO. There are much better systems out there, such as Kafka, Elastic Search, Splunk etc., all which solves this problem in a much better way.

If you have objections to this, expect to have to do some serious work on this code base, because as I see it, it’s not up to the quality we expect from  ATS.

Cheers,

— Leif

Re: [PROPOSAL] Mark log collation as deprecated for v8.0.0

Posted by Bryan Call <bc...@apache.org>.
+1

-Bryan

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alan Carroll <so...@oath.com.INVALID>.
+1

--
*Beware the fisherman who's casting out his line in to a dried up riverbed.*
*Oh don't try to tell him 'cause he won't believe. Throw some bread to the

Re: [PROPOSAL] Mark log collation as deprecated for v8.0.0

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Derek Dagit <de...@oath.com.INVALID>.
Sounds good.

--
Derek

Re: [PROPOSAL] Mark log collation as deprecated for v8.0.0

Posted by Derek Dagit <de...@oath.com>.
Sounds good.

--
Derek