Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org> on 2002/07/05 12:51:31 UTC

[4.1.7] Milestone available for testing

Highlights in this test release include:
- Fix for a showstopper bug in Coyote JK 2 (bug 10018)
- commons-dbcp updates
- Added documentation on using DBCP and Tyrex 1.0 with Tomcat

The release otherwise includes no other changes over 4.1.6.

Downloads:
http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat-4.0/test/v4.1.7/

Remy

Re: [4.1.7] Milestone available for testing

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
peter lin wrote:
> my tests are heavy on JSTL tags, so that might negate some of the
> performance enhancements.  With 4.1.3 I did notice JSP pages with
> scriptlets considerably faster than 4.0.3. Overall response time for
> static and scriptlet pages were faster than 4.0.3.

A scriptlets only page, like a hello.jsp or something like it is indeed
supposed to run a lot faster on TC 4.1.x rather than on TC 4.0.x +
Jasper 2 (and of course, than TC 4.0.x + Jasper 1, which doesn't have a
lot of Jasper runtime optimizations). I guess if you start using a lot
of tags or have some processing in the page, you're going to negate some
of the benefit.

> if I have time, I will run my scriptlet tests with 4.1.7.

It shouldn't be that different, except you can disable the on acess
recompilation check, which could give another (small) performance
enhancement.

Posted by peter lin <pe...@labs.gte.com>.
my tests are heavy on JSTL tags, so that might negate some of the
performance enhancements.  With 4.1.3 I did notice JSP pages with
scriptlets considerably faster than 4.0.3. Overall response time for
static and scriptlet pages were faster than 4.0.3.

if I have time, I will run my scriptlet tests with 4.1.7.

peter

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by peter lin <pe...@labs.gte.com>.
I'm running 4.1.7 now using my test webapp.  I don't see a huge
performance improvement over tomcat 4.0.3 with jasper2, but it does look
more stable and reliable.

the CPU profile and response variance are considerably lower. The
standard deviation (read variance) using Jmeter is 1/2-1/3 that of
tomcat 4.0.3 with jasper2.  Most of the response times are in a narrower
range and wild variance is much less.

peter lin

Posted by Andrew Conrad <an...@msn.com>.
What nightly build of commons-dbcp is being used?

-andrew