Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Sadhan Sood <sa...@gmail.com> on 2014/04/24 21:57:34 UTC

Brokers throwing warning messages after change in retention policy and multiple produce failures

We are seeing some strange behavior from brokers after we we had to change
our log retention policy on brokers yesterday. We had a huge spike in
producer data for a small period which caused brokers to get very close to
the max disk space. Normally our retention policy is good 6-7 days but
since our consumers were synced up we changed the retention policy from
hour based to size based and cut short the size to a safe number (half of
our max disk space and normal usage is around 30%). After the restart, we
started seeing multiple producer side failures with FailedSends metrics
showing almost 10% failures and FailedProduceRequestsPerSec on the broker
side a non-zero number. The traces from one of the brokers looked like this:

[KafkaApi-8] Produce request with correlation id 2050686 from client xxx on
partition [TOPIC_NAME,18] failed due to Partition [TOPIC_NAME,18] doesn't
exist on 8 (kafka.server.KafkaApis)
 [KafkaApi-8] Produce request with correlation id 2102325 from client xxx
on partition [TOPIC_NAME,28] failed due to Partition [TOPIC_NAME,28]
doesn't exist on 8 (kafka.server.KafkaApis)

We checked and made sure those partitions were present on the broker.
Any help is appreciated. Also, is there a recommended way to purge log data
quickly out from the brokers.

Thanks,
Sadhan

Re: Brokers throwing warning messages after change in retention policy and multiple produce failures

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
Let us know if you still see this issue in 0.8.1.1.

--
-- Guozhang

Re: Brokers throwing warning messages after change in retention policy and multiple produce failures

Posted by Sadhan Sood <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Drew Goya <dr...@gradientx.com>.

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sadhan,