Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Pid <p...@pidster.com> on 2007/05/09 18:17:45 UTC

[OT] Re: ACL (access control list) tutorial or example

David Kerber wrote:
> Pid wrote:

>>> That is essentially what I'm trying to do, using various built-in
>>> tools , such as java.security.acl.*, sun.security.acl.AclImpl,
>>> sun.security.acl.AclEntryImpl, sun.security.acl.PermissionImpl, etc.
>>> I'm just having trouble figuring out how these tools are intended to
>>> be used
>>

>> I wouldn't start there when securing a web application, but other list
>> members might.  Sounds like the long route to a solution.
>>
>> The spec defines role based access control; the majority of your
>> problem can be resolved by configuring a Realm and your app so that
>> restrictions can be applied on a URL by URL basis.
>
> In addition to the response I just posted, this app only has about 5
> different url's (.jsp's), only one of which is restricted to admin
> users.

You can secure any path, including a file URL.
Are you submitting forms to servlets or JSPs?

If you're submitting to servlets (ie separating your logic from your
views) then it makes it easier to write specific checks for specific users.

> The permissions are to specify which site's information they are
> able to view on the site information .jsp, and whether or not they can
> modify that information, not what .jsp they can get to in the first place.

How are you currently determining which data to display, a URL parameter
that specifies the userid/username?

Re: [OT] Re: ACL (access control list) tutorial or example

Posted by David Kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.
Pid wrote:

>>> I wouldn't start there when securing a web application, but other
>>> list members might.  Sounds like the long route to a solution.
>>>
>>> The spec defines role based access control; the majority of your
>>> problem can be resolved by configuring a Realm and your app so that
>>> restrictions can be applied on a URL by URL basis.
>>

>> In addition to the response I just posted, this app only has about 5
>> different url's (.jsp's), only one of which is restricted to admin
>> users.
>

> You can secure any path, including a file URL.
> Are you submitting forms to servlets or JSPs?

servlets.

> If you're submitting to servlets (ie separating your logic from your
> views) then it makes it easier to write specific checks for specific
> users.

That's good to know.

>> The permissions are to specify which site's information they are able
>> to view on the site information .jsp, and whether or not they can
>> modify that information, not what .jsp they can get to in the first
>> place.
>

> How are you currently determining which data to display, a URL
> parameter that specifies the userid/username?

No, the user ID information is set in session attributes, and then they
go to a .jsp that allows them to select from a list of sites to which
they have access, then one which allows them to specify the date they
want to see, and then they finally get to the data display form.  The
fields on this page are either editable or not, depending on what their
permission level is for the site they are looking at.  The information
is all carried along in the session object. as they went from screen to
screen..

Dave