Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by William Chu <wi...@gmail.com> on 2006/08/04 20:04:10 UTC

How do I direct all http requests to Https

How do I direct a user to the https url when they use the http url?

i.e. http://<url> is directed to https://<url>

Re: How do I direct all http requests to Https

Posted by William Chu <wi...@gmail.com>.
Thank you for the help, but I still don't quite understand.

What is SVN? Are these modified versions of tomcat?

I have been doing some digging.

This is what I gather

In order to get redirected to the https url from the http url:

I need to modify the server.xml to include the redirectPort in the
HttpConnector for port 8080 to point to 8443, as well the web.xml
security settings so that transport-guarantee is CONFIDENTIAL.

Are you saying this doesn't apply to Tomcat 3.3.1?

What would downloading a SVN tomcat do for me?

Here is a portion of my server.xml

:  <Http10Connector   port="80"
			   secure="false"
			   maxThreads="20"
			   maxSpareThreads="2"
			   minSpareThreads="1"
                           redirectPort="443" />

Here is a portion of my webapp.xml

  <security-constraint>
      <web-resource-collection>
          <web-resource-name>Automatic SSL Forwarding</web-resource-name>
          <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
      </web-resource-collection>
         <user-data-constraint>
         </user-data-constraint>
    </security-constraint>

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.

Posted by William Chu <wi...@gmail.com>.
Thank you Bill,

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.
something like
     <security-constraint>
        <web-resource-collection>
            <web-resource-name>Automatic SSL Forwarding</web-resource-name>
            <url-pattern>*</url-pattern>
        </web-resource-collection>-->
        <user-data-constraint>
          <transport-guarantee>
            CONFIDENTIAL
          </transport-guarantee>
        </user-data-constraint>
    </security-constraint>

but you might have to hit the docs

Filip

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.

Posted by William Chu <wi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Filip,

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.
what?

the reference to weblogic is not to the weblogic server, simply to their
excellent documentation of the standard web.xml file.
you don't need more than one web.xml file, all you need to do is set the
<user-data-constraint> element correctly,
and tomcat will automatically redirect all HTTP to HTTPS for you.

the documentation link is so that you can spend some time reading about it:)

the <user-data-constraint> setting is a servlet spec standard, and will
work on any servlet container.

Filip

Posted by MC Moisei <mc...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.