Posted to dev@karaf.apache.org by Anatole Tresch <an...@apache.org> on 2015/10/12 18:53:43 UTC

Adding Karaf Support for Karaf

Hi all

I am one of the active committers of the Apache Tamaya poddling, which
provides a unified configuration API/SPI. I think, it would be great, if
Tamaya could ship a configuration component for Karaf.
Can somebody give me a short hint, where I can find the configuration
related code running in Karaf? My current idea is that Tamaya will ship a
corresponding bundle as part of the next release, that is accessing
configuration using the Tamaya SPI mechanism.

BTW: I already checked out the Karaf source from git and have read the
committer guidelines.

Thanks for your feedback!

Anatole

--
*Anatole Tresch*
PPMC Member Apache Tamaya,

*Twitter:  @atsticks, @tamayaconf*
*http://tamaya.incubator.apache.org  <http://tamaya.incubator.apache.org>*
http://javamoney.org

Re: Adding Karaf Support for Karaf

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
I thought about the two ways: use ConfigAdmin and FileInstall as backend
of Tamaya, and use Tamaya as backend for ConfigAdmin (ConfigAdmin is
pluggable in term of storage backend).

That's what I would like to discuss with Anatole.

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Adding Karaf Support for Karaf

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@apache.org>.
Fwiw, the Felix ConfigurationManager has a pluggable notion of the
configuration storage.
FileInstall is simply a bundle that also happen to write to ConfigAdmin,
but I don't see how we can forbid that.  Which leads to question at how
Tamaya stores them for a set of containers (I haven't read any doc on it,
so just raising the point).

So there's either the possibility of implementing a real back-end for
ConfigAdmin, or a bundle, behaving like FileInstall.

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
Yes. I also thought about this as the main integration point. At least
for pure OSGi applications I would
stay with the existing config admin interfaces for DS and blueprint on
the user facing side. They are standardized and well known.
So using Tamaya in the back end would extend these capabilities without
changing the user code.

Christian

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Adding Karaf Support for Karaf

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.

Posted by Anatole Tresch <at...@gmail.com>.
Obviously it should be adding Karaf support in Tamaya ;)

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Anatole,

thanks a lot for your e-mail !

Please, let me give sometime to take a look on Tamaya, and get back to you.

By the way, do you have a skype ID or IRC nickname (that we can share in
private) in order to chat a bit together ?

Thanks,
Regards
JB

--