Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Todd Finney <tf...@boygenius.com> on 2000/11/01 20:38:54 UTC

Re: maximum (practical) size of $r->notes

In continuing my work on this template system, I've run
into another problem.

Any one or more of the components can be a script, and the
problem with the existing system which I'm trying to solve
is catching redirects by them.  The order in which I'm
doing things is now:

( 4 part handler )
Part 1: Get the template set id (int), title, and meta
designations from
          the requested file.  Put this list in pnotes.
Part 2: Add to that list the header, footer, toolbar, and
content files as
         as designated in the template file.
Part 3: Run through the list of components, and execute
anything that needs
         to be executed.  Capture the output and put it in
pnotes.
Part 4: Check for redirects, and send one if it exists.  If
not, print the
         template filled in with the output from the list
entries.

I had previously been executing component scripts like
this:

($file is an entry in the list from Parts 1&2.  All entries
in that list are full pathnames.  $args is a list of
parameters set up previously in the handler.)

if ( -x $file ) {
    $file =~ s/\/www\/html//o;
    $file = $file .'?'.$args if $args;
    my $subr = $r->lookup_uri($file);
    $subr->handler('cgi-script');
    $subr->run();
    return;
}

This doesn't work especially well anymore, as $subr->run
outputs to the browser.  I've looked through past list
messages, and from what I've read there's no way to
suppress that.

Is there a reason that no one has come up with a method for
doing this?   It seems like a few people have asked about
it, are we all going about things the wrong way?  I'm not a
C guy, so I'd probably need a little guidance, but I'd be
happy to work a patch if no else wants to.

Barring that, what's the best way to do what I need to
do?  exec'ing (and it's cousins) the scripts doesn't sound
pretty, but I'm at a loss on what else to try.

thanks,
Todd