Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Jørgen Løland <Jo...@Sun.COM> on 2008/02/01 10:13:41 UTC

Re: Patch available checkbox on the attach file page?

Kristian Waagan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When I upload new files to Jira issues, I'm often a bit annoyed by the
> fact that I have to first upload the file(s) and then go edit the issue
> to tic the patch available checkbox.
> It also generates two mails.
>
> Would it make sense to include the patch available checkbox on the
> attach file page/dialog?
>

> I have not investigated how this can be done, but if people think it is
> a useful change I can do a little research.
> I checked quickly with infra, and based on the feedback I got it seems
> we would be allowed to make such a change if it is feasible.

+1, and if possible also default to "Grant license to ASF...".

--
Jørgen Løland

Re: Patch available checkbox on the attach file page?

Posted by Jørgen Løland <Jo...@Sun.COM>.
Thomas Nielsen wrote:
> Jørgen Løland wrote:
>> Kristian Waagan wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> When I upload new files to Jira issues, I'm often a bit annoyed by
>>> the fact that I have to first upload the file(s) and then go edit the
>>> issue to tic the patch available checkbox.
>>> It also generates two mails.
>>>
>>> Would it make sense to include the patch available checkbox on the
>>> attach file page/dialog?
>>>

>>> I have not investigated how this can be done, but if people think it
>>> is a useful change I can do a little research.
>>> I checked quickly with infra, and based on the feedback I got it
>>> seems we would be allowed to make such a change if it is feasible.
>>
>> +1, and if possible also default to "Grant license to ASF...".
>>
> +1 from me too on patch available if possible.
>
> I have second thoughts over defaulting to "Grant license to ASF ... ".
> That could lead to someone adding code which is owned by someone else
> *with* a grant ASF even when that wasn't intentional. I fear that could
> lead to a very big legal mess (but no I'm not a lawyer so I could be
> wrong). Forcing the user to click the radio button means they make a
> conscious choice wrt granting ASF the license?

See your point, but maybe we could at least get an error message if
*none* of the radio buttons were selected? As it is now, you're not
forced to chose any of them. Anyway, this is just a "nice to have"
functionality.

--
Jørgen Løland

Re: Patch available checkbox on the attach file page?

Posted by Thomas Nielsen <Th...@Sun.COM>.
Jørgen Løland wrote:
> Kristian Waagan wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> When I upload new files to Jira issues, I'm often a bit annoyed by
>> the fact that I have to first upload the file(s) and then go edit the
>> issue to tic the patch available checkbox.
>> It also generates two mails.
>>
>> Would it make sense to include the patch available checkbox on the
>> attach file page/dialog?
>>

>> I have not investigated how this can be done, but if people think it
>> is a useful change I can do a little research.
>> I checked quickly with infra, and based on the feedback I got it
>> seems we would be allowed to make such a change if it is feasible.
>
> +1, and if possible also default to "Grant license to ASF...".

+1 from me too on patch available if possible.

I have second thoughts over defaulting to "Grant license to ASF ... ".
That could lead to someone adding code which is owned by someone else
*with* a grant ASF even when that wasn't intentional. I fear that could
lead to a very big legal mess (but no I'm not a lawyer so I could be
wrong). Forcing the user to click the radio button means they make a
conscious choice wrt granting ASF the license?

Just my 2-cents :)

Thomas