Posted to user@ignite.apache.org by vkulichenko <va...@gmail.com> on 2017/01/30 23:20:18 UTC

Re: Questions on Ignite Clients

Hi Tab,

Please properly subscribe to the mailing list so that the community can
receive email notifications for your messages. To subscribe, send empty
email to user-subscribe@ignite.apache.org and follow simple instructions in
the reply.

Tab Spangler wrote
> (1) Are the Clients truly clients of the cluster?  It appears as if the
> clients are actually cluster members in that they share cluster heartbeats
> and other coms inside the cluster.  My concern here is that if we have
> clients on desktops in many different offices this may cause a problem
> with networking and so on.  What I don't want is lots of these "Clients"
> dropping in and out of the cluster and causing membership changes, because
> we're stretching the cluster network geographically.

Clients are members of the cluster, because they are not just thin clients
but provide full API set which is the same as for embedded server nodes.
However, clients use different discovery protocol which protects them from
issues you described.

Tab Spangler wrote
> (2) As I said we're looking to have 100's of clients in offices all over
> North America, has Ignite been used before in this type of topology?

Yes, there are example of successful usage in similar scenarios. It's not
very typical though, so can require some tuning.

Tab Spangler wrote
> (3) My other concern is that the .NET client seems to be a wrapper around
> the Java client, is there an option to use a pure .NET client or do we
> have to ship a JVM with the .NET client?

.NET client is wrapped around Java implementation to provide fully-pledged
platform instead of limited thin client. JVM is required to run .NET client.

-Val

Re: Questions on Ignite Clients

Posted by vkulichenko <va...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tab,

Client exchange heartbeats with only one of the server nodes. If there is a
problem with this connection, it affects only client node, not server
topology.

As for non-discovery communication (i.e. any operation requests and
done to provide better performance - for example, it can read a value
directly from the node where this particular value resides.

We don't have any plans for native .NET client, as creating a fully-pledged
platform is our approach that we chose and follow. I would not assume that
this automatically brings issues, we are not "other vendors" :)

-Val

Re: Questions on Ignite Clients

Posted by Tab Spangler <sp...@gmail.com>.
Hi Val,

Thanks for your response, I've subscribed to the group as you suggested.

Just to confirm then, a client is not taking part in any kind of cluster
heart beats or checks?

I'd prefer it if there could be a 100% native .NET client as we've had
trouble in the past where other vendors supplied .NET wrappers around other
languages.  Is there anything on the horizon in terms of providing a full
.NET client?  I think the other caches I mentioned offer native clients,
although I've not confirmed that with them.

One other question we had was to do with the client connections into the
cluster.  Does the client maintain a socket to every cluster member, or does
it connect to one cluster member and then fans out operations?

Thanks
Tab