Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Ryan Lubke <Ry...@Sun.COM> on 2002/08/28 18:43:31 UTC

[Fwd: HTTP Host Request header and TC Connectors]

By the way the quote was pulled from section 14.23 of RFC 2616.

=========================

Hi,

Looking for a little input from the HTTP gurus here.

Given the following:

   "If the requested URI does not include an Internet host
    name for the service being requested, then the Host header
    field MUST be given with an empty value."

So, I'm looking for other interpretations of what the above means.

My interpretation at this point is the serviced targeted by the
request URI is identified via an IP address vs a host name, that
the Host request header will be sent but with an empty value.

Does anyone agree/disagree?

The reason I ask is that if an empty Host header is sent to Tomcat, and
a redirect is sent back, the value of the Location header is useless,
i.e.  http:///index.jsp.

I'm trying to determine if this is a problem with the client
implementation's interpretation of the spec, or a problem with Tomcat.

Thanks,

-rl

Re: HTTP Host Request header and TC Connectors]

Posted by jean-frederic clere <jf...@fujitsu-siemens.com>.
Bill Barker wrote:
> [...]

The above request is invalid and should be handled as invalid.

TC should not send a redirect in the case.

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.

Posted by Ryan Lubke <Ry...@Sun.COM>.

Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 23:01:29 GMT
Transfer-Encoding: chunked