Posted to dev@drill.apache.org by Timothy Farkas <tf...@mapr.com> on 2018/04/17 20:41:24 UTC

License Header FYI

Hi All,

Recently the license formatting checks have become stricter and all the license headers have been reformatted. The main benefit from this is that it is no longer allowed to have license headers in java doc comments. This will help keep our javadocs clean when we publish them. By default license checks are disabled, but they are enabled for Travis. To manually enable license checks locally add -Drat.skip-false and -Dlicense.skip=false args to your maven command. Also to automatically add license headers to your new files do mvn license:format

For the next couple days please manually check the license headers for your PRs. Also if you regenerate classes in drill/protocol please manually run mvn license:format to add the license headers. This is necessary because my last change broke Travis and auto formatting of licenses for generated classes, but this will be fixed after https://github.com/apache/drill/pull/1215 is merged.

Thanks,
Tim

Re: License Header FYI

Posted by Vlad Rozov <vr...@apache.org>.
My 2 cents:

License headers are mandatory only for the Apache release, so it is
never too late to add the license header if it is missing before a
release goes out.

I'd suggest to start leveraging Travis and Jenkins more for routine
tasks such as license header check and unit testing. Both CI tools build
using freshly created repository compared to a local repository that may
be polluted with extra files that don't have necessary license headers
or local changes. That causes local build to fail, so I disable
apache-rat anyway and it would not save me from committing files without
the license header.

Yes, the overhead is not big compared to the total build time, but even
if it is 30 seconds or less, multiplied by # of developers, # of builds
each day and by number of days in a year, it is quite significant.

Thank you,

Vlad

Re: License Header FYI

Posted by Parth Chandra <pa...@apache.org>.

Re: License Header FYI

Posted by Vlad Rozov <vr...@apache.org>.

Re: License Header FYI

Posted by Arina Yelchiyeva <ar...@gmail.com>.

Re: License Header FYI

Re: License Header FYI

Posted by Parth Chandra <pa...@apache.org>.

Re: License Header FYI

Posted by Parth Chandra <pa...@apache.org>.

Re: License Header FYI

Posted by Arina Yelchiyeva <ar...@gmail.com>.
Yes, until https://github.com/apache/drill/pull/1215 is merged in.

Re: License Header FYI

Posted by Abhishek Girish <ag...@apache.org>.
Hey Tim,

I tried building master and encountered an error:

mvn clean install -U -Pmapr -Drat.skip=false -Dlicense.skip=false

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal com.mycila:license-maven-plugin:3.0:check
> (default) on project drill-root: Some files do not have the expected
> license header -> [Help 1]

Is that expected?