Posted to users@tomee.apache.org by COURTAULT Francois <Fr...@gemalto.com> on 2017/09/25 15:15:56 UTC

TomEE -Java EE 8 compatible or certified ?

Hello everyone,

As Java EE 8 is out, could you tell us when a TomEE version will be at least compatible or certified released ?
Any pointer to TomEE roadmap ? (Maybe an announcement at Oracle Java One ?)
Have to wait for TomEE 9 because of Servlet 4.0 ?

Best Regards.

________________________________

RE: TomEE -Java EE 8 compatible or certified ?

Posted by COURTAULT Francois <Fr...@gemalto.com>.
Hello,

No doubt about that. My question is more, when could we expect to have TomEE 8 released ?

Best Regards.

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de.INVALID>.
Hi Francois!

.

Re: TomEE -Java EE 8 compatible or certified ?

Posted by Matheus Eduardo Bonifacio Morais <ma...@sicredi.com.br>.
Em 25-09-2017 19:02, David Blevins escreveu:
> Hi Francois!
>
> As Mark mentions the Java EE 8 work is going on now.  It will be compatible, but not certified -- at least not directly.
>
> The story there is the Java EE TCK licensing agreement between Oracle and Apache expired and is not being renewed due to disagreement on the terms.  So Apache does not have a Java EE 8 TCK.  With my Apache hat on, I worked with Cameron Purdy, then SVP of Development at Oracle, for over 2 years trying to get a new agreement made.  When he departed Oracle, the progress stopped on the Oracle side.
>
> I then switched hats and began pursing things from the Tomitribe.  After a year we have licensed and paid for a TCK.  We can't legally give it to Apache (Oracle's rules) nor can we legally release Apache TomEE (Apache's rules), but we can legally certify something that is 100% Apache TomEE, but with a different name.  I.e. we can take TomEE zip, rename it, run it through the TCK and put it up.  We intend to do that so that Apache TomEE releases are in spirit, certified.
>
> There are some challenges ahead, such as only Tomitribe people can run the TCK or see the results.  Java EE itself is being open sourced, TCKs and all, so this will have a better solution long-term.  Short-term we'll have to power through together as a community and support each other the best we can.
Oracle destroy everything, it's their business model. Open source Java
it's nice, but it is too late for the platform IMHO.

--
Matheus Eduardo Bonifácio Morais
Analista de Infraestrutura de TI,

Centro Administrativo Sicredi – Porto Alegre
+55 51 3358 7143

sicredi.com.br
Esta mensagem é somente para uso do destinatário informado e pode conter informações privilegiadas, proprietárias ou privadas. Se você recebeu esta mensagem por engano, por favor, notifique o remetente imediatamente e apague a original. Qualquer outro uso deste e-mail é proibido.

Re: TomEE -Java EE 8 compatible or certified ?

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
presonally I got a lot of surprises with eclipselink (like good perf out of
the both...cause cache is on by default which doesnt enjoy clustering the
apps, like getting connections used outside transactions where the entity
should be a dead DTO etc...) which made applications uncontrolled so
OpenJPA being closer to the spec is very appreciated even if it requires
some setup to have the bytecode enhancement done right.

Romain Manni-Bucau

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de.INVALID>.
Hmm, EE8 requires Java8. Just from the API alone.
And anything compiled with Java8 will also run on Java9, right?

So I'd say the minimum requirement in TomEE8 is Java8.

Btw, we still can use Java9 for the TomEE8 development!
The new Java9 Maven build chain supports to generate real Java8 code by making use of the new Java9 javac --release feature.

Imo we should be perfectly fine supporting Java8++ in TomEE8

LieGrue,
strub

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by cocorossello <co...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
Thanks :)

--
WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: TomEE -Java EE 8 compatible or certified ?

Posted by Matthew Broadhead <ma...@nbmlaw.co.uk>.
hi Maxim

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
Hello Matthew,

--
WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: TomEE -Java EE 8 compatible or certified ?

Posted by Matthew Broadhead <ma...@nbmlaw.co.uk>.

Posted by Andy Gumbrecht <ag...@tomitribe.com>.
Hi Danilo,

Posted by Danilo Cominotti Marques <dc...@gmail.com>.