Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Stack <st...@duboce.net> on 2018/01/12 06:30:52 UTC

[VOTE] The third hbase-2.0.0-beta-1 Release Candidate is available for download

The third release candidate for HBase 2.0.0-beta-1 is up at:

  https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/hbase/hbase-2.0.0-beta-1-RC2/

Maven artifacts are available from a staging directory here:

  https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehbase-1191

All was signed with my key at 8ACC93D2 [1]

I tagged the RC as 2.0.0-beta-1-RC1.6 at hash
3e6f80dcd5b6630769f310d429f403f1fa8bae23

This third RC has fix nice bug fixes over RC0 and RC1 including fix for
MOST of the failing and flakey tests (We are still working through them).

hbase-2.0.0-beta-1 is our first beta release. It includes all that was in
previous alphas (new assignment manager, offheap read/write path, in-memory
compactions, etc.). The APIs and feature-set are sealed.

hbase-2.0.0-beta-1 is a not-for-production preview of hbase-2.0.0. It is
meant for devs and downstreamers to test drive and flag us if we messed up
on anything ahead of our rolling GAs. We are particular interested in
hearing from Coprocessor developers.

The list of features addressed in 2.0.0 so far can be found here [3]. There
are thousands. The list of ~2k+ fixes in 2.0.0 exclusively can be found
here [4] (My JIRA JQL foo is a bit dodgy -- forgive me if mistakes).

I've updated our overview doc. on the state of 2.0.0 [6]. We'll do one more
beta before we put up our first 2.0.0 Release Candidate by the end of
January, 2.0.0-beta-2. Its focus will be making it so users can do a
rolling upgrade on to hbase-2.x from hbase-1.x (and any bug fixes found
running beta-1). Here is the list of what we have targeted so far for
beta-2 [5]. Check it out.

One known issue is that the User API has not been properly filtered so it
shows more than just InterfaceAudience Public content (HBASE-19663, to be
fixed by beta-2).

Please take this beta for a spin. Please vote on whether it ok to put out
this RC as our first beta (Note CHANGES has not yet been updated). Let the
VOTE be open for 72 hours (Lets say Monday morning!)

Thanks,
Your 2.0.0 Release Manager

1. http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x9816C7FC8ACC93D2
3. https://goo.gl/scYjJr
4. https://goo.gl/dFFT8b
5. https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/HBASE/versions/12340862
6. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WCsVlnHjJeKUcl7wHwqb4
z9iEu_ktczrlKHK8N4SZzs/

Re: [VOTE] The third hbase-2.0.0-beta-1 Release Candidate is available for download

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 9:37 AM, Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> The bulk of the build time seems due to the retargeting of the Maven
> repository cache to a new empty directory, requiring a jarcrawl of the
> world at every build. If we had a flag to make this optional and nondefault
> I bet that would resolve it.

Yeah. Let me add that. I find this a goodly portion but enforcer checking
and for some reason, hangs in archetypes eats up loads of time too (I'm
finding that my build machines seem to have rotted which doesn't help the
situation).

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
I'm sinking this RC. Pardon the inconvenience.

Appy put up this dashboard for branch-2 last night:
https://builds.apache.org/view/H-L/view/HBase/job/HBase-Find-Flaky-Tests/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/dashboard.html
There are a bunch of tests that fail always in the RC. I only realized the
extent when I ran a full build on a borrowed machine (My build boxes have
been mis-performing). hadoopqa filters out the permanently broken so I was
missing the true picture.

I will be back w/ a new RC as soon as the build finishes. A good few of the
permanent failures came in w/ MY "HBASE-19694 The initialization order for
a fresh cluster is incorrect". It raises a bunch of interesting issues that
we'll have to deal with in a beta-2 (that were hidden, but present
nonetheless, by the previous start order).

Pardon my trying your patience.
Yours,
St.Ack