Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Graham Reeds <gr...@ntlworld.com> on 2006/08/24 23:16:00 UTC

Virtual Local Host on Windows 2000

Tomcat 5.0.28:

I would like to set up a virtual local host to test on my system.  The
name of the domain for testing doesn't really matter but I chose
test.localhost and had the appBase point to webapps/test  (see below):

       <Host name="test.localhost" appBase="webapps/test">
         <Context path="" docBase="."/>
       </Host>

Anyway I copied a test app into webapps/test but selecting
http://test.localhost/ results in FF appending www. to the front and IE
not displaying anything.

All literature on the web seems to be linux based with modifying Apache
hosts.conf.  I am not running with Apache locally so that is not an option.

Any good linkage I might of missed or a simple 1.2.3 for me?

Thanks Graham Reeds.

Re: Virtual Local Host on Windows 2000

Posted by Steve Ochani <oc...@ncc.edu>.
Date sent:      	Thu, 24 Aug 2006 23:20:45 +0100
From:           	Graham Reeds <gr...@ntlworld.com>
Subject:        	Re: Virtual Local Host on Windows 2000
To:             	users@tomcat.apache.org
Send reply to:  	Tomcat Users List <us...@tomcat.apache.org>
Send reply to:  	grahamr@ntlworld.com

> Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
> >> From: news [mailto:news@sea.gmane.org] On Behalf Of Graham Reeds
> >> Subject: Virtual Local Host on Windows 2000
> >>
> >> Anyway I copied a test app into webapps/test but selecting
> >> http://test.localhost/ results in FF appending www. to the
> >> front and IE not displaying anything.
> >
> > Do you have test.localhost defined in the hosts file?  Or otherwise
> > resolvable to a valid IP address (presumably 127.0.0.1)?  If not,
> > how do you expect the browser to figure out where to connect to?
>
> But TC doesn't have a hosts file to resolve it to.

The hosts file is part of the tcp/ip stack of the OS, not Tomcat.

Posted by Graham Reeds <gr...@ntlworld.com>.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: news [mailto:news@sea.gmane.org] On Behalf Of Graham Reeds
> Subject: Virtual Local Host on Windows 2000
>
> Anyway I copied a test app into webapps/test but selecting
> http://test.localhost/ results in FF appending www. to the
> front and IE not displaying anything.

Do you have test.localhost defined in the hosts file?  Or otherwise
resolvable to a valid IP address (presumably 127.0.0.1)?  If not, how do
you expect the browser to figure out where to connect to?

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.