Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Simon Kitching <si...@ecnetwork.co.nz> on 2004/04/09 13:44:22 UTC

[digester] InvokeMethodRule

Hi,

I've created a branch called DIGESTER_INVOKE_METHOD_BRANCH, and
committed some code to it.

This is an implementation of a new variant of CallMethodRule.
This new variant invokes its target method as soon as all parameters are
available. As discussed earlier on this list, this makes behaviour more
intuitive in most cases.

It also takes the opportunity to learn some lessons from CallMethodRule,
and hopefully provide a cleaner API.

And hopefully it provides a model for implementing "immutable object
creation", where it is desired to create objects with non-default
constructors, but where the data is present as child tags, not as
attributes.

I don't think this is candidate material for release 1.6, as it is a
reasonably large body of new code. But it does pass *all* the tests
provided for CallMethodRule (modified to suit the InvokeMethodRule api).
I'm committing it now so that people can see the code (and so I don't
lose it!).

All comments welcome.

Regards,

Simon