Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Kishore Metla <KM...@PALMERHILL.com> on 2002/04/03 20:49:05 UTC

FW: problem sending email, body in Rich Text Format / Plain Text

Hi,

I did not get any answer and this is kind of important. Can someone please
help me.

Thanks in advance
-Kishore

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Kishore,

This is a bug in JavaMail.  I see this error message occassionally in my
logs but never had the email source that was causing it.  You'll have to
follow-up with Sun on this one as we're rather dependent on their
library for MIME parsing and writing.  I think JavaMail 1.3 is about to
come out (or maybe already has) so you could test that it could read and
write that message.  Once JavaMail 1.3 FCS is out, we'll need to upgrade
James to use this new version of JavaMail, irregardless.
--
Serge Knystautas
http://www.lokitech.com/

RE: problem sending email, body in Rich Text Format / Plain Text

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@thought.co.uk>.
It seems strange, but may be because "application/octet-stream" is the
lowest common denominator content type used for any unknown content-type, it
basically translates as "this type is unknown, treat it as a raw binary and
let someone else figure it out"

It would appear that javax.mail cannot cope with an email who's only part is
either a) Disposition: attachment or b) Content-type:
application/octet-stream

Probably because it (or some guy at sun) believes that it cannot create a
complete mail message from it.

HTML email in Outlook is actually Content-type: multipart/alternative,
Attachments are always sent as Content-type: multipart/mixed , but plain
text is not usually multipart at all unless it has an attachment, I don't
know about M$ rtf.
I think HTML email works because it contains the framework of a multipart
message already, even if it is empty of content.

I don't yet know for sure what the reason for your error is, but I bet its
related to the issues above, and that means that its not our bug, but a bug
in javax.mail from sun.

:-(

d.