Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Suhas Ingale <sp...@qualispace.com> on 2007/06/22 16:44:10 UTC

Help in writing rules to catch SREA stock spams

Can someone help me writing rules to catch below content spam?

SREA UP Another 36.36%. Read This Hit List!

Score One Inc. (SREA)

Close: $0.60 UP 36.36%

In the last two days SREA has been on the watch list of OTCPicks.com,
OTCStockExchange.com, and Boonmarket.com rocketing it over 200%. Need we say
more? Get on SREA and ride the wave.

I have written these rules. Let me know if they are wrong.

full                          OTCPicks              /OTCPicks\.com/i

describe               OTCPicks              Emails containing OTCPicks
URLs.

score                     OTCPicks              5.0

full                          OTCStockExchange
/OTCStockExchange\.com/i

describe               OTCStockExchange          Emails containing
OTCStockExchange URLs.

score                     OTCStockExchange         5.0

full                          Boonmarket       /Boonmarket\.com/i

describe               Boonmarket       Emails containing Boonmarket URLs.

score                     Boonmarket       5.0

RE: Help in writing rules to catch SREA stock spams

Posted by Suhas Ingale <sp...@qualispace.com>.
This line is common in all such stock spam. How do I catch these using
rules?

Score One Inc. (SREA)

Posted by Nigel Frankcom <ni...@blue-canoe.net>.
On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 20:14:10 +0530, "Suhas Ingale"
<sp...@qualispace.com> wrote:

>Can someone help me writing rules to catch below content spam?
>

>SREA UP Another 36.36%. Read This Hit List!
>

>Score One Inc. (SREA)
>
>Close: $0.60 UP 36.36%
>

>In the last two days SREA has been on the watch list of OTCPicks.com,
>OTCStockExchange.com, and Boonmarket.com rocketing it over 200%. Need we say
>more? Get on SREA and ride the wave.
>

>I have written these rules. Let me know if they are wrong.

In my experience the domains used change very frequently, if they were
static for any length of time I'd block them at my MTA and save the SA
resources.

Just my 2 pence worth

KR

Nigel

Re: Help in writing rules to catch SREA stock spams

Posted by arni <ma...@arni.name>.
Marc Perkel schrieb:

> Actually the fastest way to get rid of stoc/botnet spam is with fake
> MX records.
>
> fake 10
> real 20
> fake 30
> fake 40

I dont like the idea of making life harder for ham (forcing a properly
working mailserver to make at least 2 connections) acompanied with the
same delays as greylisting.

Why make life harder for ham if you can detect the spam easily?

arni

Re: Help in writing rules to catch SREA stock spams

Posted by Marc Perkel <ma...@perkel.com>.

Posted by arni <ma...@arni.name>.
Matt schrieb:
> I have Spamassassin setup to whitelist all my own IP pools.  Do I need
> to do anything else?
>
> Matt
make sure that anything that is an MX for x@<allyourdomains>.com is in
your internal_networks

arni

Re: Help in writing rules to catch SREA stock spams

Posted by Matt <lm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by arni <ma...@arni.name>.

Posted by Matt <lm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel J McDonald <da...@austinenergy.com>.
On Fri, 2007-06-22 at 17:03 +0200, arni wrote:
> Marc Perkel schrieb:
> >
> > That doesn't answer his question though. He didn't ask for your
> > opinion about if he needed it. If the rules were working for him he
> > wouldn't be asking for help. When someone asks a question telling
> > them they don't need it is generally the wrong answer and a waste of
> > time.
> >
> I was more trying to show him that installing the botnet plugin alone,
> together with a decent bayes or 1 or 2 more rules already does the job
> and instead of writing a new rule for each stock spam that comes out,
> this will catch almost all of it (all of it in my case)

Well, bayes is very hard to implement on a mid-span spamassassin
implementation (no feedback loop for missed spam or false ham).  In my
case, I use spamassassin under amavisd-new as a front-end filter,
discard/quarantine the trash, then deliver to MS Exchange for end users
to read.

And I've been catching  actual customers and vendors right-and-left with
the botnet plugin.  Too many false positives, even combining it with
p0f, for me to feel very good about it.

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE # 2495, CISSP # 78281, CNX
Austin Energy

Re: Help in writing rules to catch SREA stock spams

Posted by arni <ma...@arni.name>.

Posted by Marc Perkel <ma...@perkel.com>.

Posted by arni <ma...@arni.name>.

Re: Help in writing rules to catch SR_crap_EA stock spams

Posted by Igor Chudov <ic...@Algebra.Com>.
I do it fully separately from spamassassin.

I have a list of patterns in a file that are matched by saying
m/\b$pattern\b/. (\b means word boundary). If I get more than one or
two spams advertising a particular stock, I put that stock name in the
pattern list.

All messages mentioning those spammed stocks (or websites, or any
other keyword) end up in my special "blocked" spambucket. (and that's
where your post ended up also).

I review it once a few days. It's worked for me for years and is
supplementing spamassassin nicely.

These stock spammers are very obnoxious and send very numerous
instances of same spam to each recipient.