Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by John Burwell <jo...@shapeblue.com> on 2016/08/02 22:37:12 UTC

Re: [PROPOSAL] Early LTS Initial Release

Rajani,

As I mentioned in my previous email, the original motivation for a completely separate branch was based on objections by some community members that the longer, more conservative LTS release cycle would place a drag on the velocity of regular releases.  Additionally, users interested in LTS releases voiced their desire to have fewer releases a year.  Therefore, where the regular release cycle is scheduled to make major releases every 2 months and maintenance releases every month, the LTS cycle makes major releases every 6 months and maintenance releases less frequently (e.g. every 3 months).  These longer cycles allow users with longer acceptance test/verification cycles to more easily keep up with upgrades.  Completely separate branches and release cycles were proposed to serve both use cases (rapid, leading upgrades and more traditional maintenance cycles).

I am open to collapsing LTS into the regular maintenance releases (e.g. 4.9 simply becomes supported for 20 months instead of 4 months).  Ultimately, I would like that decision to be based on user feedback since separate release branches/cycles have been previously discussed with no objections [1].  I have CC’ed users@ to solicit thoughts from our users on which approach would be preferred.

Thanks,
-John

[1]: http://markmail.org/thread/zh43rc6ahs4te46l

john.burwell@shapeblue.com
www.shapeblue.com
53 Chandos Place, Covent Garden, London VA WC2N 4HSUK
@shapeblue

Posted by Pierre-Luc Dion <pd...@cloudops.com>.
To me, if we would like to offer LTS, we need to fix following core issues:
-  how database version is handle, right now database structure is mixed
with upgrade*.sql files and some java code
-  better test upgrade path, I'm not sure we test them properly :-S

I have to admit I'm not fan of LTS release and would probably be -1, on
this for the following reasons:

Over the last year of so we start bumping old branch sub-release to back
port bugfixes, the idea is not bad, but we are now facing issues that
Upgrade paths are broken because older branch minor releases can be more
recent than latest main release as result as database consistency.  last
example:  4.8.1 will be release after 4.9.0

A problematic issue that we are experiencing is the database structure, we
currently have a scenario in our infra where a fresh installation of 4.7.2
does not have the same `configuration` table content as an older system
that have that path: 4.4.0 -> 4.4.4 -> 4.7.0 -> 4.7.2
I blame our database versioning method, and the fact that we are changing
upgrade_*.sql files between releases. The reality is that once  release
package are voted,
we should never change update*.sql files except for the next coming version
that as not been released yet. Rohit discussed about solution about this in
the past, we should review that.

Another issue we are seeing, that our personal experience at keep using an
old branch, is the complexity of submitting bug fixes that require 2 code
fixes if the main code diverge too much, back porting bug fixes or new
features is not trivial sometime because the code base change too much
between versions. This is not really inviting to submit bug fixes.

So now regression tests are event more complicated because a bug can be
fixed in  an older branch but not in master due to code refactor, or
missing PR or merge.

Also, keeping users in previous branch prevent them to use latest
hypervisors releases (XenServer 7.0) and latest Guest OSes (ex: Ubuntu
16.04).
After running CloudStack for few years now, I found that remaining on an
old branch/release is a medium term dead end, because you end up with
inability to upgrade or use latest hypervisors and new guest OSes, upgrade
path is much more complex and involve much more efforts than upgrading
often as Shubberg proposed in the past. We have the capability to upgrade
our software as oppose to similar projects, so we should leverage this.

Last thing, I found the propose versioning is too complicated, why adding
5th and 6th digit, shouldn't we start bumping up 4.x.x to 5.x.x instead?

I don't want to  block any initiative going that path, LTS, but I'm a bit
concerned in our current state and upgrade paths.

Regards,

Pierre-Luc

Posted by Rajani Karuturi <ra...@apache.org>.
[1]: http://markmail.org/thread/zh43rc6ahs4te46l ( http://markmail.org/thread/zh43rc6ahs4te46l ) john.burwell@shapeblue.com ( john.burwell@shapeblue.com