Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by Jonathan Bergh <be...@gmail.com> on 2020/07/19 20:00:32 UTC

Networking module? Netbeans platform

hi there,

I'm not sure if this is the correct list to email, however, does anyone
know whether the Netbeans platform has a built in networking module?
Nothing is mentioned in the book i'm reading (Def Guide to NB Platform 7),
however, I notice even in a plain NB platform build, there are proxy
network settings in the Options panels.

Does this mean there is a built set of networking classes which can be
used, or do you need to write your own networking code if you want to do
TCP / IP stuff in your NB platform app?

thanks in advance,
regards
jon

Re: Networking module? Netbeans platform

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.
Hm, I never tested this but I wonder if opening a plain URL connection
goes through the proxy or not. Perhaps it does?

We have the Core Network module but it's not public API
https://bits.netbeans.org/dev/javadoc/org-netbeans-core-network/overview-summary.html

And, of course, the autoupdate infra would use the proper proxy
settings. I'm just not certain modules get that for free...

--emi

Posted by Marco Rossi <ma...@markreds.it>.
Hello Jon,
in case of Update Center, Netbeans offers a complete API to manage updates for your RCP application and it is totally transparent to the programmer (you don’t have to setup the connection manually), you can take a look to NB framework programming guide where there is a complete example.

If you need to manage connections at a lower level for your purposes you can use what the Java environment offers (sockets) or use some 3rd party libraries (such as Apache HttpComponents library, for example) that you can wrap in a module and use it in your RCP application.

As already said Netbeans is a IDE and also a framework to which build our custom applications on top of it but I’m not aware of the existence of specific network functionalities offered by the framework that Java already has.

Regards,
Marco

Posted by "Valerie:Jeffrey Timothy" <42...@student.cnwl.ac.uk>.
Hi Jon