Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Andrew Phillips <an...@apache.org> on 2013/05/30 22:44:48 UTC

Correct process for signing keys?

Hi all

Apologies in advance if this is not the correct audience for this
question: what is the correct process now for publishing signing keys
for releases? jclouds currently has a KEYS file [1]; there is another
(different) file containing keys in the groups list [2] on
people.apache, and most individual committers *also* have their
personal keys automatically retrieved via people.apache (e.g. [3]).

In an email thread on this topic Brian (McCallister) indicated that:

> Upon investigation, if release signing keys are published via
> https://people.apache.org/keys/ then we don't need a KEYS file and
> should remove it.
>
> -Brian

In that case, I'd be grateful if you could give some guidance on what
the validity of the other approaches (KEYS file published somewhere or
group KEYS file) is, and what we should do with those files, if
anything.

Thanks!

Andrew

[1] http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/jclouds/KEYS
[2] https://people.apache.org/keys/group/jclouds.asc
[3] https://people.apache.org/keys/committer/andrewp.asc

RE: Correct process for signing keys?

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
@Christian

The other advantage of the people list is that it is automatically updated from the federation of PGP key servers so it reflects the latest "web of trust" and also, I presume, any revocation.

In some cases, PMC wide is a bit too generous though.  I think the release manager's Apache ID is better, using <https://people.apache.org/keys/<id>.asc>.  This is probably more confidence-inspiring that the web of trust itself for those who do not participate in Apache projects and don't know who those folks who've counter-signed the certificate happen to be.  In that case, the lock to an ASF committer is valuable.  (It is unfortunate that committers and especially release managers are often not visible by their <id>@apache.org, thus providing even more confidence in the connection for observers.)

 - Dennis

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andrew,