Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Philip Labee <pl...@covalent.net> on 2001/07/03 21:14:47 UTC

test harness for Apache

While Apache 1.3 has proven itself in the field, 2.0 hasn't yet.  Rather
than wait for market acceptance, I propose that we create an open source
test harness and publish extensive test scripts.  This harness should allow
verification of both protocol correctness and API-level testing, and
anything else that people want to test.

Covalent Technologies has dedicated manpower to porting the mod_perl test
harness to Apache 2.0, and would like to contribute this work to the ASF.

Is it possible to create a httpd sub-project for this work?  Doug, Ryan, and
Will can make sure the code is committed once the project is set up.  A
separate mailing list for people working on the test harness and scripts
would allow anyone not necessarily interested in this work to ignore it.

--Philip Labee, QA Manager
  Covalent Technologies, Inc.

Re: test harness for Apache

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@ebuilt.com>.
> Is it possible to create a httpd sub-project for this work?  Doug, Ryan, and
> Will can make sure the code is committed once the project is set up.  A
> separate mailing list for people working on the test harness and scripts
> would allow anyone not necessarily interested in this work to ignore it.

I have created an httpd-test CVS module:

    cvs -d cvs.apache.org:/home/cvs checkout httpd-test

(also at /home/cvspublic for people without accounts on apache.org) and
commit notifications will go to <te...@httpd.apache.org>.  The mailing
list <te...@httpd.apache.org> has been created for discussions.

You can subscribe to both by sending separate empty messages to

  <te...@httpd.apache.org> and
  <te...@httpd.apache.org>

....Roy

> > While Apache 1.3 has proven itself in the field, 2.0 hasn't yet.  Rather
> > than wait for market acceptance, I propose that we create an open source
> > test harness and publish extensive test scripts.  This harness should allow
> > verification of both protocol correctness and API-level testing, and
> > anything else that people want to test.
> >
> > Covalent Technologies has dedicated manpower to porting the mod_perl test
> > harness to Apache 2.0, and would like to contribute this work to the ASF.

+1

> > Is it possible to create a httpd sub-project for this work?  Doug, Ryan, and
> > Will can make sure the code is committed once the project is set up.  A
> > separate mailing list for people working on the test harness and scripts
> > would allow anyone not necessarily interested in this work to ignore it.

[test@httpd.apache.org sounds too ambigous.]  And Brian can set it up so that
the appropriate folks have commit access, much like apache-docs have their own
standards for committers, the testbench list can determine what the appropriate
standards for contributions are to grant commit access.  APR and apache-docs
have been very successful, partly because the bar is set to the nature of the
project.

Bill

Re: test harness for Apache

Posted by Bill Stoddard <bi...@wstoddard.com>.
+1

Re: test harness for Apache

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@ebuilt.com>.

Re: test harness for Apache

Posted by Chuck Murcko <ch...@topsail.org>.
I believe Ian Holsman has been working on this for a bit already.

On Tuesday, July 3, 2001, at 03:14 PM, Philip Labee wrote:

> While Apache 1.3 has proven itself in the field, 2.0 hasn't yet.  Rather
> than wait for market acceptance, I propose that we create an open source
> test harness and publish extensive test scripts.  This harness should
> allow
> verification of both protocol correctness and API-level testing, and
> anything else that people want to test.
>
> Covalent Technologies has dedicated manpower to porting the mod_perl
> test
> harness to Apache 2.0, and would like to contribute this work to the
> ASF.
>
> Is it possible to create a httpd sub-project for this work?  Doug,
> Ryan, and
> Will can make sure the code is committed once the project is set up.  A
> separate mailing list for people working on the test harness and scripts
> would allow anyone not necessarily interested in this work to ignore it.
>
> --Philip Labee, QA Manager
>   Covalent Technologies, Inc.

Chuck Murcko
Topsail Group