Posted to users@camel.apache.org by gliesian <ro...@gliesian.com> on 2013/09/11 18:26:57 UTC

XMPP URI FORMAT MISSING HASH (#) USAGE?

Consider the URI Scheme definition for fragment from
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/URI_scheme:

The fragment is an optional part separated from the front parts by a hash
("#"). It holds additional identifying information that provides direction
to a secondary resource, e.g., a section heading (in an article) identified
by the remainder of the URI.

Now consider the definitions of IRC and XMPP:

IRC - Internet Relay Chat (IRC) is a protocol for live interactive Internet
text messaging (chat) or synchronous conferencing

XMPP- Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP) is a communications
protocol for message-oriented middleware based on XML (Extensible Markup
Language).[1] The protocol was originally named Jabber,[2] and was developed
by the Jabber open-source community in 1999 for near real-time, instant
messaging (IM), presence information, and contact list maintenance. Designed
to be extensible, the protocol has also been used for publish-subscribe
systems, signalling for VoIP, video, file transfer, gaming, Internet of
Things applications such as the smart grid, and social networking services.

Now consider the usage for Camel's IRC and XMPP components:

IRC URI FORMAT:
irc:[login@]hostname[:port][/#room][?options]

XMPP URI FORMAT:
xmpp://[login@]hostname[:port][/participant][?Options]

My question is this... shouldn't the hash ("#") marker/tag also be used in
the XMPP URI, similar to what has been done with the IRC URI?

Thanks,
Robert

Re: XMPP URI FORMAT MISSING HASH (#) USAGE?

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
Robert,

The # isn't a special camel thing.  It's actually part of the name of
the channel.  For instance, our IRC channel name is "#camel".

James