Posted to docs-dev@perl.apache.org by Per Einar Ellefsen <pe...@skynet.be> on 2002/03/30 12:05:53 UTC

Link problems

Hia agin everyone.

Pod has a big problem: linking is horrible. I knowyou already know about
this, but we have to correct these problems in some way. I'd gladly do it,
if someone tells me where to correct it.

What is needed:
- off site links, of the form L<some site|http://....>
- relative links, URL form: L<the search|../search/swish.cgi>
- being able to link to index pages:  from guide/help.pod, being able to
link to guide/index.html when it's created( for example with L<the
guide|guide> or L<the guide|docs::1.0::guide>)
- probably something else I don't remember.

I hit into this problem because in the guide/help.pod page, we link to the
guide, to the faqs, etc... but it's pretty hard doing that right now.

--
Per Einar Ellefsen
per.einar@skynet.be

Re: Link problems

Posted by Per Einar Ellefsen <pe...@skynet.be>.
At 04:24 03.04.2002, Stas Bekman wrote:
>Per Einar Ellefsen wrote:
>>I understand. We should try to keep new features out of documentation
>>that is distributed elsewhere (that means keeping it out of the 2.0
>>user's guide for a while), but that we could use it in the general site
>>pages (which includes the guide which will unlikely reside on user
>>computers and even less likely reside there in source form).
>
>we cannot. the 2.0 documentation is about to take over the 1.0 documentation,
>most likely that you will need these features in 2.0 docs too.

Most likely, but I could still use it in 1.0 docs :)
Ok, I'll try and work without it. Do as best you can with pod-people to
push the U<> construct, and we'll see how it goes.

--
Per Einar Ellefsen
per.einar@skynet.be

Re: Link problems

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Per Einar Ellefsen wrote:

>>> But I don't think we should wait for it being acknowledged though. I
>>> feel that many Pod parsers are somewhat broken, and don't all seem to
>>> be following the spec. If we need a feature, it won't hurt anyone to
>>> include it. Of course, the best would be to have it in the spec, but
>>> right now I'm more worried about what we can do with our site versus
>>> what would be the right thing.
>>

>> It's not that bad right now, it's just that the real link is displayed
>> as a title,
>> so it's not nice. It's more or less working.
>

> I don't understand what you mean...Using URLs inside L<> clearly doesn't
> work, we get the linked item in italics and that's it.. As for relative
> links (which aren't auto-detected by the parser) it's even worse.

I didn't mean using L<> for URIs, you simply say: http://foo.com/bar and
it gets linked. Of course this doesn't work for relative links.

Re: Link problems

Posted by Per Einar Ellefsen <pe...@skynet.be>.

Re: Link problems

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.