Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Leo Simons <LS...@schubergphilis.com> on 2014/08/08 12:09:19 UTC

Re: must read (git.git workflow)

git.git workflow is a logical superset of gitflow with shorter branch names. All the basic practices are the same. Unsurprisingly, perhaps :-)

The key difference is the use of long lived stable branches rather than per-release stable branches that wither & die off.

I would guess it’s a little easier to understand coming from current cloudstack practice.

This setup does require a little bit more git-fu to recover from mistakes, and periodic rewind/rebase of integration branches (git has a ‘proposal’ branch if I remember correctly that is `git reset` every now and then). Like most git man-pages it assumes you understand git pretty well :-). Of course only one person needs to do that.

I guess that may also be a good fit for cloudstack which is already used to the release manager announcing these kinds of coordinated shifts and doing branch maintenance.

cheers,

Leo