Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Jörn Nettingsmeier <po...@uni-duisburg.de> on 2005/12/02 15:19:37 UTC

1.4 lucene question

hi!

whenever i leave kupu or bxe, lenya 1.4 complains:

An error occured.

message: index PolWiss-authoring doesn't exist

org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException: Error calling flowscript function
executeUsecase at
file:/home/POLNET/nettings/src/lenya-1.4.x/build/lenya/webapp/lenya/usecases/usecases.js:282:-1
at <map:call> -
file:/home/POLNET/nettings/src/lenya-1.4.x/build/lenya/webapp/lenya/usecases/usecase.xmap:93:46
at <map:mount> -
file:/home/POLNET/nettings/src/lenya-1.4.x/build/lenya/webapp/lenya/usecase.xmap:56:128
at <map:mount> -
file:/home/POLNET/nettings/src/lenya-1.4.x/build/lenya/webapp/global-sitemap.xmap:303:105
at <map:mount> -
file:/home/POLNET/nettings/src/lenya-1.4.x/build/lenya/webapp/sitemap.xmap:531:110

cause: org.apache.cocoon.components.search.IndexException: message:
index PolWiss-authoring doesn't exist

the url says
"http://localhost:8888/PolWiss/authoring//index.html?lenya.usecase=lucene.index&indexAction=index&indexArea=authoring",
so it looks like it's trying to update the search index after the edit,
which is nice :)
i have never used lucene, but my guess is i need to prepare an index
manually before this is going to work. how do i initialize lucene in
lenya 1.4?

sorry if this is a stupid faq, but i have so many wiki pages and code
snippets in my head right now that i may be overlooking the obvious...

regards,

jörn

Re: source tree help sought [was: 1.4 lucene question]

Posted by Jörn Nettingsmeier <po...@uni-duisburg.de>.
Joern Nettingsmeier wrote:
> felix, doug, many thanks for your replies.
>
> Doug Chestnut wrote:
>> Hi Joern,
>> Did you try the "New publication" usecase?  When I make a new
>> publication [using the default pub as a template], the
>> indexing/searching works without having to make any manual config edits.
>
> yes, originally i did. i must have messed something up while trying to
> customize my publication. yesterday night, i started over from scratch,
> and when i tried again, i could not reproduce the problem. sorry for the
> noise.

hi everyone!

as reported before, i still have problems with non-existent search
indices in lenya 1.4. when i create a new publication as doug suggests,
everything works, but as soon as i add my own modifications, the indexer
breaks, and i don't know why.

this makes the cms pretty much un-usable, since almost every action in
the authoring interface triggers the indexer.

the error i get is this:

<quote>
message: index unidue-authoring doesn't exist

org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException: Error calling flowscript function
executeUsecase at
file:/local/lenya-build/lenya_1_4_X/build/lenya/webapp/lenya/usecases/usecases.js:284:-1
at <map:call> -
file:/local/lenya-build/lenya_1_4_X/build/lenya/webapp/lenya/usecases/usecase.xmap:93:46
at <map:mount> -
file:/local/lenya-build/lenya_1_4_X/build/lenya/webapp/lenya/usecase.xmap:56:128
at <map:mount> -
file:/local/lenya-build/lenya_1_4_X/build/lenya/webapp/global-sitemap.xmap:299:105
at <map:mount> -
file:/local/lenya-build/lenya_1_4_X/build/lenya/webapp/sitemap.xmap:526:106

cause: org.apache.cocoon.components.search.IndexException: message:
index unidue-authoring doesn't exist
</quote>

but my indexer configuration has not been changed, and the index is there:
<index analyzer="stopword_en"
directory="/local/lenya-build/lenya_1_4_X/build/lenya/webapp/lenya/pubs/unidue/work/lucene/index/authoring/index"
id="unidue-authoring">

i don't see how my modifications would break the indexing.
here's what i did:

* add a local page2xhtml.xsl, and a usecase.xmap to apply alternate
stylesheets

* override lenya/modules/sitetree/navigation/menu.xsl

* modify the ac to be independent from the default publication,

* comment out all resource types except for "xhtml" and "search" in
publication.xconf

what am i doing wrong? what does the error message mean?

what files should be in work/lucene?

why do i not get a "search" subdirectory like the default pub has?

is there a way to create this index manually, perhaps by crawling from
the command line? i read about an ant-task for this in lenya 1.2, but it
is no longer included in 1.4.

any help is appreciated.

best,

jörn

for the record, here is the last part of the stack trace:

<quote>
org.apache.cocoon.components.search.IndexException: message: index
unidue-authoring doesn't exist
	at
org.apache.cocoon.components.search.components.impl.IndexManagerImpl.getIndex(IndexManagerImpl.java:186)
	at
	at
	at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ComponentProxyGenerator$ComponentInvocationHandler.invoke(ComponentProxyGenerator.java:143)
	at $Proxy17.getIndex(Unknown Source)
	at
org.apache.cocoon.transformation.LuceneIndexTransformer2.initIndexer(LuceneIndexTransformer2.java:511)
	at
org.apache.cocoon.transformation.LuceneIndexTransformer2.startElement(LuceneIndexTransformer2.java:282)
	at
org.apache.cocoon.components.sax.XMLTeePipe.startElement(XMLTeePipe.java:83)
	at
org.apache.xml.serializer.ToXMLSAXHandler.closeStartTag(ToXMLSAXHandler.java:204)
	at
org.apache.xml.serializer.ToSAXHandler.flushPending(ToSAXHandler.java:277)
	at
org.apache.xml.serializer.ToXMLSAXHandler.startPrefixMapping(ToXMLSAXHandler.java:348)
	at
org.apache.xml.serializer.ToXMLSAXHandler.startPrefixMapping(ToXMLSAXHandler.java:318)
</quote>

--
"Open source takes the bullshit out of software."
	- Charles Ferguson on TechnologyReview.com

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier, EDV-Administrator
Institut für Politikwissenschaft

Posted by Joern Nettingsmeier <po...@uni-duisburg.de>.

Doug Chestnut wrote:
> Hi Joern,
> Did you try the "New publication" usecase?  When I make a new
> publication [using the default pub as a template], the
> indexing/searching works without having to make any manual config edits.

yes, originally i did. i must have messed something up while trying to
customize my publication. yesterday night, i started over from scratch,
and when i tried again, i could not reproduce the problem. sorry for the
noise.

*.*

but my mess-up is symptomatic of a real problem: it's very hard to play
with 1.4 using 1.2 documentation and guessing. things break a lot. i
know that i'm on my own fiddling with dev trees and i get what i pay
for, but 1.4 is in need of better docs...

q to the developers: are the fallback and templating mechanisms going to
change for 1.4-release? if not, can we start documenting them? i'll be
glad to help, although my lenya skills are still very limited.

same goes for the /modules directory hierarchy: if it is finished, my
gues is that most of the 1.2 docs could be applied to 1.4 with just a
little more than search & replace.

since many modifications cannot yet be done via the cms interface (and i
doubt it would make sense in many cases), users have to grope through
the filesystem a lot, and it's quite hard to get a good mental
representation of how the web gui and the actual files on disk interact.

<dream>

i would love to see a commented walk-through of the entire lenya 1.4
source tree (including build/) (well, ok, the *major* directories),
where i can find out which parts do what, i.e.

* which parts are used only during compilation and re-deployment,

* which parts are used at run-time,

* which parts are publication-specific,

* which parts are fallback-enabled and what the order of the fallback
stages is, and more generally: exactly which files are processed when a
page is served/edited etc. i have learned the basics of pipelines, so i
know where the content comes from, but which xsls are actually used in a
specific case is still a mystery to me.

* which files are copied when i create a new publication from an
existing one, and which files are only referred to and thus remain
"live" and will propagate changes in the base publication,

* which parts are written to during editing, and which parts are written
to during live operation (to be able to make decent security decisions
when it comes to file permissions etc.),

all in all, i want to know where to make graceful modifications and
customizations.

</dream>

right now, i'm using a hack-and-slash approach in very low-level xsls,
xconfs and xmaps, re-deploying publications madly, just because i don't
understand the code paths and fall-throughs properly.

solprovider's docs take a great approach imho in that he does not fear
to present really ugly hacks, but when he does, he says so and suggests
more general and more elegant solutions as well. this is really helpful,
because i learn why some things are bad style (even though they are
probably easier to understand and hack up and yield immediate results),
but i get the bigger picture as well.

excuse my ranting, this is all just so fscking hard on my brain... let
me reiterate that i think lenya and cocoon are amazing pieces of work -
thanks to all contributors!

best,

jörn

--
"Án nýrra verka, án nútimans, hættir fortíðin að vekja áhuga."
"Without new works, without the present the past will cease to be of

Re: 1.4 lucene question

Posted by Doug Chestnut <dh...@virginia.edu>.
Hi Joern,
Did you try the "New publication" usecase?  When I make a new
publication [using the default pub as a template], the
indexing/searching works without having to make any manual config edits.

--Doug

Re: 1.4 lucene question

Posted by Joern Nettingsmeier <po...@uni-duisburg.de>.
hi felix!

Re: 1.4 lucene question

Posted by Felix Röthenbacher <fe...@wyona.com>.
Hi Jörn

Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
> hi felix!
>
> thanks for your quick reply!
>
> Felix Röthenbacher wrote:
>
>> Hi Jörg
>>
>> You have to configure the index in your publication. Please have
>> a look in the config directory of the default publication.
>> Additionally, you need a xxx2index.xsl for all your resourcetypes
>> xxx (see xhtml module).
>

> hmm. i have a config directory beneath my publication, so that should be
> used, right? or does this have to be in the default one?

No, it's your publication config directory.

> index_manager_index.xconf looks ok to me.

This file contains the per publication configuration of the indexes.
You have to copy this file to your own publication (if not done
already) and modify it to suit your setup. You need to change the
index id both in the xconf xpath expression and in the
<index id="..." .../>. E.g. replace 'id="default-live"' with your
publication name plus area: 'id="yourpub-live"' (same for
'id="default-authoring"'). Additionally, you need to replace the
directory path of the index storage location. Here again, replace
the '../default/..' path name with you publication name.

> i don't have any custom resource types (yet).

Then you don't have to care about them :-)

Best, Felix

Felix Röthenbacher                  felix.roethenbacher@wyona.com

Re: 1.4 lucene question

Posted by Jörn Nettingsmeier <po...@uni-duisburg.de>.