Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Chux <ch...@gmail.com> on 2014/04/18 09:08:27 UTC

Best way to have a DB browser in your destop app

Hello guys,

I have a desktop app using Java FX and so I have Derby as embedded DB.
These builds I deploy to my clients.

I need however a little tool to somehow access the embedded database for
viewing, and maybe some on-the-fly modifications.

When the FX app is up and running the DB is locked to it. So my option is
to include a built in DB manager tool inside the app.

So I was wondering if you know any java-based database viewers that I can
import and use inside my app?

Best,
Chux

Re: Best way to have a DB browser in your destop app

Posted by bruehlicke <br...@gmail.com>.
Put your desktop app into the NetBeans Platform. Then you get a) a perfect
free desktop app framework and b) a very nice DB manager tool build in by
default.

Posted by Dyre Tjeldvoll <Dy...@oracle.com>.
On 18. apr. 2014, at 09:08, Chux <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello guys,
>
> I have a desktop app using Java FX and so I have Derby as embedded DB.
> These builds I deploy to my clients.
>
> I need however a little tool to somehow access the embedded database for
> viewing, and maybe some on-the-fly modifications.
>
> When the FX app is up and running the DB is locked to it. So my option is
> to include a built in DB manager tool inside the app.
>
> So I was wondering if you know any java-based database viewers that I can
> import and use inside my app?

Nope. But if you don’t need a fancy interface for your maintenance work you could embed a NetworkServer in your app and then use ij to connect with the client driver. This is as simple as setting a property when starting your app… don’t remember the name of the property, but it is in the docs…

Regards,

Dyre

Re: Best way to have a DB browser in your destop app

Posted by Rick Hillegas <ri...@oracle.com>.
On 4/18/14 12:08 AM, Chux wrote:
> Hello guys,
>
> I have a desktop app using Java FX and so I have Derby as embedded DB.
> These builds I deploy to my clients.
>
> I need however a little tool to somehow access the embedded database for
> viewing, and maybe some on-the-fly modifications.
>
> When the FX app is up and running the DB is locked to it. So my option is
> to include a built in DB manager tool inside the app.
>
> So I was wondering if you know any java-based database viewers that I can
> import and use inside my app?
>
> Best,
> Chux
Hi Chux,

The real answer to your question will have to come from people who write
better gui applications than I do. I think you are right that every
database app needs a tool for inspecting the database and
trouble-shooting production problems. I have written a couple, clumsy,
Swing-based apps which are powered by Derby. For each of them I have
added an interactive Help window which reads an SQL statement from a
JTextArea and which then presents the results (for queries) as a JTable.
Too crude for customers to pilot but useful enough for development and
tech support; and not much code.

Hopefully you'll get a better answer from someone who really knows how
to write a gui app.

Hope this helps,
-Rick