Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Mohammad Naghavi <mo...@gmail.com> on 2010/11/15 19:38:50 UTC

sqlResources

Hi again,
I'm in a situation that want to append some prefixes to table names of james
but as sqlResources file is deprecated I didn't find any other place that I
can modify sql queries used. are they in code or are configurable?

thanks,
MN
PHP & ASP .Net 3.5 web developer
Java & C# desktop developer
www.mohamnag.com

Re: sqlResources

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Yes, the folder and project names have changed....
The important point is to have spring-beans.xml and log4j.properties in
your eclipse classpath, so add them to any existing or new source folder
in james-server-container-spring (not the old
james-server-spring-deployment) project.

I will update the tutorial page ASAP.

Tks,

Eric

Re: sqlResources

Posted by Mohammad Naghavi <mo...@gmail.com>.
Hi again,

Re: sqlResources

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.
Hi,

There's a tutorial to build from source james server on
http://james.apache.org/server/3/dev-build.html
(don't look too close on images, because some maven projects have been
renamed).

But you should be ok with that (if tutorial need updates, tell us)

Once you've got the server, you still don't have the jpa stuff which is
for now in imap repo and should be moved to mailbox repo (there's
history behind that, but yes we need to move the jpa,... stuff to
mailbox, but don't worry, it is related to the whole server already now)

Also have a look at
http://james.apache.org/imap/source-code.html
http://james.apache.org/mailbox/source_code.html (read (*) Source code
is not yet moved, so replace 'mailbox' with 'imap' in the above URL.)

In short,
svn checkout https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/server/trunk
james-server
apply http://james.apache.org/server/3/dev-build.html tutorial
svn checkout https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/imap/trunk james-imap
mimick http://james.apache.org/server/3/dev-build.html tutorial and have
fun :)

Tks,

Eric

On 16/11/2010 09:50, Mohammad Naghavi wrote:
> So I decided to work on code but as I'm not familiar with Jame's repository
> it seems for me a little confusing.
> First of all is there any guide how to check out the code of whole project
> to work on it? or it should be extracted for each part separately?
> Second why JPA is in IMAP directory? isn't it related to whole server?
>
> Thanks for helping me starting to work on the project.
> MN
> PHP&  ASP .Net 3.5 web developer
> Java&  C# desktop developer
> www.mohamnag.com
>

> On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 9:00 AM, Eric Charles<er...@apache.org>  wrote:
>
>> I've always found JPA mapping files quite verbose, but I guess this gives
>> power to customize.
>> So yes, putting all (names, queries, relationships,...) in persistence.xml
>> would be more flexible for you and certainly many others.
>> Feel free to submit a patch :)
>>
>> Tks,
>>
>> Eric
>>

>> On 16/11/2010 08:45, Mohammad Naghavi wrote:
>>
>>> yes I will try it, cause any way I have to change the tables. I also plan
>>> add some columns to current tables to be used with my addon module for
>>> james, which is why I think that was better to store whole query outside.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> MN

Re: sqlResources

Posted by Mohammad Naghavi <mo...@gmail.com>.

Re: sqlResources

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.
I've always found JPA mapping files quite verbose, but I guess this
gives power to customize.
So yes, putting all (names, queries, relationships,...) in
persistence.xml would be more flexible for you and certainly many others.
Feel free to submit a patch :)

Tks,

Eric

On 16/11/2010 08:45, Mohammad Naghavi wrote:
> yes I will try it, cause any way I have to change the tables. I also plan to
> add some columns to current tables to be used with my addon module for
> james, which is why I think that was better to store whole query outside.
>
> Thanks
> MN
> PHP&  ASP .Net 3.5 web developer
> Java&  C# desktop developer
> www.mohamnag.com
>

> On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 8:41 AM, Eric Charles<er...@apache.org>  wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> This is why I would try to define the names in persistence.xml and leave
>> the queries, relationships,... in the classes via annotations.
>> But I never worked with mixed env (definitions in classes + persistence.xml
>> with openjpa).
>>
>> I guess this should be possible, but I prefer to test before confirming.
>> Maybe you could give it a try a tell us the result?
>>
>> Tks,
>>
>> Eric
>>

>> On 16/11/2010 08:37, Mohammad Naghavi wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Eric,
>>> so it means if I want to change anything like table names or also column
>>> names then I should repeat my changes in every upcoming release? why not
>>> store the whole query outside in a config file like what was in
>>> sqlResource.xml?
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>> MN

Re: sqlResources

Posted by Mohammad Naghavi <mo...@gmail.com>.

Re: sqlResources

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Re: sqlResources

Posted by Mohammad Naghavi <mo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Eric,
so it means if I want to change anything like table names or also column
names then I should repeat my changes in every upcoming release? why not to
store the whole query outside in a config file like what was in
sqlResource.xml?

thanks,
MN
PHP & ASP .Net 3.5 web developer
Java & C# desktop developer
www.mohamnag.com

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 8:13 AM, Eric Charles <er...@apache.org> wrote:

> I've opened a JIRA to fix the database naming.
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IMAP-228
>
> I wonder if we could have the tables/columns names defined in
> persistence.xml while leaving the rest (queries,...) in classes annotations
> ?
>
> Tks,
>
> Eric
>

> On 16/11/2010 06:49, Eric Charles wrote:
>
>> Hi Mohammad,
>>
>> The tables are created via JPA with domain classes in
>>
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/imap/trunk/jpa/src/main/java/org/apache/james/mailbox/jpa/mail/model
>>
>> The tables and columns names should be defined in those classes with JPA
>> annotations.
>>
>> Tks,
>>
>> Eric
>>

>> On 15/11/2010 19:38, Mohammad Naghavi wrote:
>>
>>> Hi again,
>>> I'm in a situation that want to append some prefixes to table names of
>>> james
>>> but as sqlResources file is deprecated I didn't find any other place that
>>> can modify sql queries used. are they in code or are configurable?
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>> MN

Re: sqlResources

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.