Posted to discuss@apachecon.com by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com> on 2005/07/14 02:06:20 UTC

secure booking for ApacheCon Europe?

Sort of at the last minute I'm going to ApacheCon next week.  I followed
the www.apachecon.com links to the Hotel Maritim Stuttgart. The web site
claims that single rooms are available for next week; however, the page
that requests the credit card number is insecure.

has anyone else booked with the Hotel Maritim via the web securely?

thanks,

-jean

Re: secure booking for ApacheCon Europe?

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Lars Eilebrecht wrote:
> According to Jean T. Anderson:
>

>>Sort of at the last minute I'm going to ApacheCon next week.  I followed
>>the www.apachecon.com links to the Hotel Maritim Stuttgart. The web site
>>claims that single rooms are available for next week; however, the page
>>that requests the credit card number is insecure.
>

> Which page are you using. If you go to
> http://www.apachecon.com/2005/EU/html/travel.html
> and click on "hotel reservation service".
> Then select your favorite hotel and enter your
> details. The step where it asks for your credit
> card details is of course secured via SSL.
>
> ciao...

thanks for the verification -- I see what my confusion was.
The page that prompts for the credit card prompts for that information
within a frame. The outer frame is not secure so it looks insecure. But
"This Frame -> Open Frame in new window" shows that it is indeed locked.

And all the single rooms disappeared over night.  oh well.  :-)

Posted by Lars Eilebrecht <la...@eilebrecht.net>.

--
Lars Eilebrecht
lars@eilebrecht.net

Re: secure booking for ApacheCon Europe?

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Torsten Curdt wrote:

>> Sort of at the last minute I'm going to ApacheCon next week.  I
>> followed the www.apachecon.com links to the Hotel Maritim  Stuttgart.
>> The web site claims that single rooms are available for  next week;
>> however, the page that requests the credit card number  is insecure.
>>
>> has anyone else booked with the Hotel Maritim via the web securely?
>

> why not just call them? ;-)

I'm on a vonage line that doesn't extend outside the us and canada. But
I suppose I could purchase a calling card down at the local drug store
that can call outside north america. I'll try that route.

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.
> Sort of at the last minute I'm going to ApacheCon next week.  I
> followed the www.apachecon.com links to the Hotel Maritim
> Stuttgart. The web site claims that single rooms are available for
> next week; however, the page that requests the credit card number
> is insecure.
>
> has anyone else booked with the Hotel Maritim via the web securely?

why not just call them? ;-)

cheers
--
Torsten