Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Jakob Homan <jg...@gmail.com> on 2014/06/29 02:02:19 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Samza 0.7.0-incubating RC0

This is vote for Samza's 0.7.0 release.  The PPMC vote passed 6x+1 6
(Martin, Jakob, Yan, Sriram, Zhijie, Garry):
http://bit.ly/samza070releasevote

The release candidate can be downloaded from here:
http://people.apache.org/~martinkl/samza-0.7.0-rc0/

The release candidate is signed with pgp key ED78F8F5352D8EDF, which is
included in the repository's KEYS file:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-samza.git;a=blob_plain;f=KEYS;h=7c59d68a82a6b6172334725962583b2fa8071242;hb=HEAD
and can also be found on keyservers:
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xED78F8F5352D8EDF

The git tag is release-0.7.0-rc0 and signed with the same pgp key:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-samza.git;a=tag;h=refs/tags/release-0.7.0-rc0

155 issues were resolved for this release:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20SAMZA%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%200.7.0%20AND%20status%20in%20(Resolved%2C%20Closed)

Here's my +1 (binding)

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Samza 0.7.0-incubating RC0

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 29 June 2014 01:02, Jakob Homan <jg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is vote for Samza's 0.7.0 release.  The PPMC vote passed 6x+1 6
> (Martin, Jakob, Yan, Sriram, Zhijie, Garry):
> http://bit.ly/samza070releasevote
>
> The release candidate can be downloaded from here:
> http://people.apache.org/~martinkl/samza-0.7.0-rc0/

[The alternative is to use the dist/dev area at

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/samza

when that has been created.
This makes it easier to publish the files once the vote passes, as the
dev and release trees are in the same SVN repo.]

There's a problem with the NOTICE file in Git.

It includes the paragraph:

This product includes software developed by The Apache Software
Foundation (http://www.apache.org/).
<<

This should be

<<

Note in particular that it is "developed AT" not "developed BY" -
which has a rather different meaning.

The LICENSE file includes references to several third party software items.
However, their version numbers are not specified.
Since the license may change between versions, it is important to
specify the version to which the specific license applies.

The LICENSE file also appears to contain several copies of some licences.
This is unnecessary and confusing.
Where there are several additional licenses apart from the AL2.0, it
is usually better to store the licences in separate files which are
referenced from the LICENSE file itself, for example:

This product includes Foo version 1.3.01 under the XYZ licence, see path/XYZ.txt
etc.

> The release candidate is signed with pgp key ED78F8F5352D8EDF, which is
> included in the repository's KEYS file:
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-samza.git;a=blob_plain;f=KEYS;h=7c59d68a82a6b6172334725962583b2fa8071242;hb=HEAD

The KEYS file should be stored at the top level of the Samza directory
under dist/incubator on the ASF host.
It will be needed there for the download page.
This must link to the mirror system for the source, but sigs and
hashes must be linked from the ASF host (they are not replicated to
mirrors)

It looks like the directory has not yet been created.

This will obviously have to be done before a release can be made.

Also, the dist release area [2] needs to be created before any files
can be published (once the VOTE passes)

[2] https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/samza

AFAIK, this will require a JIRA for INFRA

Posted by Devaraj Das <dd...@hortonworks.com>.
+1 (binding). Downloaded the source and ran unit tests. Looked good.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Samza 0.7.0-incubating RC0

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Yes: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-112

Thanks for double checking.

> To my knowledge, there's no established method for
> bringing these files in during compilation/build, but I'll take a look at
> for the next release.

I don't think there is any need for that, the licenses seem fine.

> The graffle files are sources for diagrams in our documentation and are
> processed/compiled/saved/exported into PNGs.  Peeking at them in vim shows
> that they're actually XML files, and so not binary

That's fine then. You may want to add an Apache header to them.

> I'll open a JIRA to tiday up the other items in the list

None of the items in that list are required, just suggestions for consideration, but thanks for looking into them.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Samza 0.7.0-incubating RC0

Posted by Jakob Homan <jg...@gmail.com>.
I've opened a JIRA for the dist release (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-7980) and will move the KEYS
file there once the directories are created.

Posted by Jakob Homan <jg...@gmail.com>.

> I note that there is an SIL licensed font in the distribution, this is a
> category b license [1] are the PPMC satisfied that all conditions noted in
> [1] are met? Looking at the LICENSE this seems good to me but no harm in
> double checking.

Yes: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-112

>  There are a few binary files in the source distribution
> - font files (fontawsome + gyphicons)

If appropriately licensed binary font files used in documentation and the
system's web interfaces can't be included, then neither should image files
(.png, jpeg, etc).  To my knowledge, there's no established method for
bringing these files in during compilation/build, but I'll take a look at
for the next release.

> - doc .graffle files
>
> Could an alternative format be found for the omigraffle files?
>
> The graffle files are sources for diagrams in our documentation and are
processed/compiled/saved/exported into PNGs.  Peeking at them in vim shows
that they're actually XML files, and so not binary (http://bit.ly/graffleXML
).

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com>.
Hi,

+0 (binding) due to NOTICE file - seems minor I know but it is important to get right.

I checked:
- Vote seems OK - although would be good to have [VOTE][RESULT] with tally of binding votes
- Release file name name contains incubating
- DISCLAIMER exists
- NOTICE and LICENSE mostly good (but see below). May be issue with glyphicons license?
- NOTICE incorrect - uses "by" rather than "at"
- All source headers are good
- There are a couple of binary files (see below) but think these are OK
- Can compile from source

I note that there is an SIL licensed font in the distribution, this is a category b license [1] are the PPMC satisfied that all conditions noted in [1] are met? Looking at the LICENSE this seems good to me but no harm in double checking.

Note that there some discussion about if copyright notices go in LICENSE or not for permissive licenses. It seems helpful to me, but may not actually be required.

There are a few binary files in the source distribution
- font files (fontawsome + gyphicons)
- doc .graffle files

Could an alternative format be found for the omigraffle files?

Things you may want to consider changing for the next RC / release:
- Have [VOTE][RESULT] with tally of binding votes
- Place release in https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/
- Add "apache" to release artefact name
- Change name to be more in line with other Apache releases ie use "src" at end rather than "sources" at front
- Not sure that KEYS is useful inside .tgz
- Could use short version of licenses in LICENSE [2]
- remove ".reviewboardrc"
- double check gyphicon LICENSE is MIT
- is docs/Gemfile.lock needed?
- Possible to use alternative format for omigraffle files?

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-b
3. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#permissive-deps

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Samza 0.7.0-incubating RC0

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.
+1 binding

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Samza 0.7.0-incubating RC0

Posted by Devaraj Das <dd...@hortonworks.com>.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE