Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org> on 2015/02/05 21:46:20 UTC

[ANN] Apache Maven Checkstyle Plugin 2.14 Released

The Maven team is pleased to announce the release of the Apache Maven Checkstyle Plugin, version 2.14

Generates a report on violations of code style and optionally fails the build if violations are detected.

http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-checkstyle-plugin/

You should specify the version in your project's plugin configuration:

<plugin>
  <artifactId>maven-checkstyle-plugin</artifactId>
  <version>2.14</version>
</plugin>

Release Notes - Apache Maven Checkstyle Plugin - Version 2.14

Bug
* [MCHECKSTYLE-255] First checkstyle error is not printed in the console ouput
* [MCHECKSTYLE-254] Update plexus-interpolation to avoid thread safety issues
* [MCHECKSTYLE-249] ITs failing when building on Windows from distribution prepared on Unix

Improvement
* [MCHECKSTYLE-283] Move maven_checks.xml and maven-header.txt away from the plugin
* [MCHECKSTYLE-282] add info on ruleset used in report intro
* [MCHECKSTYLE-263] Removed dependency plexus-container-default:1.0-alpha-9-stable-1
* [MCHECKSTYLE-262] Upgrade to maven-plugins parent version 27
* [MCHECKSTYLE-257] display content/documentation of Checkstyle configurations predefined by maven-checkstyle-plugin in plugin's documentation site
* [MCHECKSTYLE-256] add Java package information to output, instead of class name only
* [MCHECKSTYLE-251] Upgrade to Checkstyle 5.8

Task
* [MCHECKSTYLE-281] fail if deprecated parameters are used and display update instructions
* [MCHECKSTYLE-280] add documentation on upgrading Checkstyle at runtime
* [MCHECKSTYLE-276] remove RedundantThrows rule from default configs
* [MCHECKSTYLE-274] remove Avalon configuration since the Avalon project is retired

Enjoy,

-The Maven team

Re: [ANN] Apache Maven Checkstyle Plugin 2.14 Released

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
> On Feb 9, 2015, at 10:34 AM, James Green <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for that - any reason why the maven plugin does not track the
> Checkstyle releases then? That's the cause for the questioning in the first
> place.

We have certain requirements about what JDK versions the plugins need to support “out of the box”.   The latest Checkstyle releases require Java7 which is beyond what the plugins need to support right now.

Dan

Daniel Kulp

Re: [ANN] Apache Maven Checkstyle Plugin 2.14 Released

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
James,

Yes, there are lenghy discussions on this topic in JIRA. Have look at
MCHECKSTYLE-251 for example. Version 2.15-SNAPSHOT is already using
Checkstyle 6.1.1 and 2.16 will be using version Checkstyle 6.2.

Posted by James Green <ja...@gmail.com>.
Dennis,

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
Hi James

> [...]

>> * [MCHECKSTYLE-263] Removed dependency
>> plexus-container-default:1.0-alpha-9-stable-1
>> * [MCHECKSTYLE-262] Upgrade to maven-plugins parent version 27
>> * [MCHECKSTYLE-257] display content/documentation of Checkstyle
>> configurations predefined by maven-checkstyle-plugin in plugin's
>> documentation site
>> * [MCHECKSTYLE-256] add Java package information to output, instead of
>> class name only
>> * [MCHECKSTYLE-251] Upgrade to Checkstyle 5.8
>>
>> Task
>> * [MCHECKSTYLE-281] fail if deprecated parameters are used and display
>> update instructions
>> * [MCHECKSTYLE-280] add documentation on upgrading Checkstyle at runtime
>> * [MCHECKSTYLE-276] remove RedundantThrows rule from default configs
>> * [MCHECKSTYLE-274] remove Avalon configuration since the Avalon project

Dennis Lundberg

Re: [ANN] Apache Maven Checkstyle Plugin 2.14 Released

Posted by James Green <ja...@gmail.com>.