Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Daniel Kunkel <Da...@BioWaves.com> on 2007/01/02 20:59:37 UTC

Any need for an svn playground?

Hi

I wonder how hard it would be to setup a svn playground for non
*approved* ofbiz committers.

I've heard about more than one project that has been started by an OFBiz
users
that never sees the lights of day, even though there are probably others
that
would use it to jump start their efforts. In case that didn't make
since,
consider the recent efforts to implement a google shopping cart module.

In addition, a probably would be a great proving ground to determine who
is appropriate to become a qualified OFBiz committer.

The one challenge I have not worked out is how to best structure the
playground
to support various projects and easily integrate back into an OFBiz
instance.

Thanks

--
Daniel

*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-
Have a GREAT Day!

Daniel Kunkel           DanielKunkel@BioWaves.com
BioWaves, LLC           http://www.BioWaves.com
14150 NE 20th St. Suite F1
Bellevue, WA 98007
800-734-3588    425-895-0050
http://www.Apartment-Pets.com  http://www.Illusion-Optical.com
http://www.Card-Offer.com      http://www.RackWine.com
http://www.JokesBlonde.com     http://www.Brain-Fun.com
*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-

Re: Any need for an svn playground?

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.
Actually, OFBIZ-495 is one of the small pieces I mentioned. I consider that
patch completed. The other enhancements I'm working on will require that patch.

So, (in my scenario) the "big project" Jira issue would contain a patch, along
with comments like "Requires framework_v2.patch in OFBIZ-495, aaabbbccc.patch in
OFBIZ-ZZZ" etc. Someone wanting to use the new feature would download and apply
the specified patches.

The "big project" might never make it into OFBiz initially. But maybe OFBIZ-495
would. If enough people apply the patch to their local copies and like it, then
maybe the committers will take a second look at including the feature in OFBiz.

I'm not arguing against what you've proposed. I'm just saying that I believe it
can be done with existing resources.

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.
Adrian,

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.

Posted by David Welton <da...@gmail.com>.
On 1/2/07, Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have a project pending for sourceforge.net for just
> this purpose (it's taking a little bit of time because
> of the holiday, I imagine).  I had asked a couple of
> weeks ago if Apache Ofbiz would like this a similar
> resource under their umbrella and really didn't get a
> thumbs up/down from the committers.
>
> If it does get approved, its Unix name will be
> ofbiz-sandbox.  I'll post if/when it does get approved
> unless Apache Ofbiz wants to maintain a similar
> resource.

The ASF tends to be, in my experience, a little bit more beaurocratic
than might be desireable for purely blue-sky sandbox type things like
that, so I think that SF or google code or something else is probably
a better place for it until such time as it develops enough to be
something that the OFBiz PMC can look at integrating.

Just my opinion though, I'm not speaking for the ASF...

--
David N. Welton
 - http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/

Linux, Open Source Consulting
 - http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: Any need for an svn playground?

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.

--- Daniel Kunkel <Da...@BioWaves.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I wonder how hard it would be to setup a svn
> playground for non
> *approved* ofbiz committers.
>
> I've heard about more than one project that has been
> started by an OFBiz
> users
> that never sees the lights of day, even though there
> are probably others
> that
> would use it to jump start their efforts. In case
> that didn't make
> since,
> consider the recent efforts to implement a google
> shopping cart module.
>
> In addition, a probably would be a great proving
> ground to determine who
> is appropriate to become a qualified OFBiz
> committer.
>
> The one challenge I have not worked out is how to
> best structure the
> playground
> to support various projects and easily integrate
> back into an OFBiz
> instance.
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Daniel

*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-
> Have a GREAT Day!
>
> Daniel Kunkel           DanielKunkel@BioWaves.com
> BioWaves, LLC           http://www.BioWaves.com
> 14150 NE 20th St. Suite F1