Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/05 16:37:46 UTC

Web Framework Integration (was how to build sling components with complex user interaction and write capabilities?)

Hi Edgar,

Sorry for the belated answer, I was busy fixing issues and extending
Sling over the last few days.

Taking your original mail apart for easier tracking of the issues
raised.

Am Montag, den 24.09.2007, 11:34 -0300 schrieb Edgar Poce:
>  First of all congratulations for the good work!. I've been playing
> with sling the last few days and I like the framework very much.

Thank you very much !

As you may have seen I also committed a small sample project which shows
some of the functionality of Sling in action.

> My first impression is that Sling is an integration framework. My
> understanding is that Sling provides the glue to integrate different
> applications but it doesn't provide the tools to build rich web based
> applications as others web frameworks do, e.g. wicket. Is this
> impression correct? and in case it is, would it be a good idea to use
> another web framework to build a Sling component?.

You are probably right, yes. Sling itself provides close to no web
framework support. As such we will probably have to build integration
points for other web frameworks of which Wicket in fact came to my mind
first. What I am thinking of is some Component/Content implementations
to adapt Wicket into Sling. Yet, I have to admit, that I did not yet do
any research in this direction.

Of course any suggestions and patches in this direction would be very
welcome.

Regards
Felix