Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by "Göschl,Siegfried" <Si...@drei.com> on 2004/03/15 07:45:23 UTC

RE: Current State of Fulcrum? and chat with Eric Pugh

Hi Mike,

the problem is actually not building but knowing what to do with it. I had a look at Fulcrum and Stratum a while ago when it was seen as a decoupled Turbine Service Framework. Now I looked at ECM in the Avalon project but ECM is deprecated and this point I was entirely confused. Party because it is somehow confusing and partly I'm under some pressure to get a service framework for my project up and running.

I hope a get a few hints to kickstart me since I have a few former Turbine services waiting for migration.

Thanks in advance

Siegfried Goeschl

Posted by J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org>.
Hello Mike.  Hello Siegfried.

I'm not much of a Turbine hacker, but I do know Avalon.  Perhaps I can
help answer some questions...

Mike Manner wrote:

> Hi Siegfried,
>
> I am a beginner in avalon containers (but I'm studying them deeper now),
> so I cannot tell you much, but here is what I managed to do or understand :
>
> - as you said it seems that ECM container is deprecated.

ECM is depricated.  Fortress is it's replacement.  However, Avalon is
trying to simplify things by consolidating our container projects.  The
current dream is to get Merlin in shape as a replacement for all the
others.  It's currently not quite there yet (hopefully soon), so
existing ECM/Fortress/Phoenix (all Avalon containers) users might want
to keep using their current container until we provide a proper
migration path.  New users and developers are encouraged to jump right
into Merlin with the understanding that some changes are in the pipeline.

> the link "http://avalon.apache.org/product/containers/" tell us that now
> Merlin is the next container solution, but Eric said in some posts that
> Merlin seems not to be mature enough, so perhaps Fortress is a good
> choice for you...

Merlin is certainly stable and mature enough for general use.  Fortress
has been out a bit longer, but not by much.  Again, as I mentioned
before, if you're starting out with Avalon, I would suggest going with
Merlin (and posting questions to the Avalon user list).

As for the Turbine-specific questions, I'm afraid I just can't answer
them at the moment.

----
   jaaron   <http://jadetower.org>

Re: Current State of Fulcrum? and chat with Eric Pugh

Posted by Mike Manner <te...@oreka.com>.
Hi Siegfried,

I am a beginner in avalon containers (but I'm studying them deeper now),
so I cannot tell you much, but here is what I managed to do or understand :

- as you said it seems that ECM container is deprecated.

the link "http://avalon.apache.org/product/containers/" tell us that now
Merlin is the next container solution, but Eric said in some posts that
Merlin seems not to be mature enough, so perhaps Fortress is a good
choice for you...

- for my tests (I'm using fulcrum security component) I also have to run
a container, so I took the code source found in the \testcontainer\src\
directory of the fulcrum project.

the code I found starts an ECM container (though deprecated, for a first
step it's useful and it works)

I just made some changes (removing the inheritance from unit test
classes and some others as specifying the configuration files)

the other thing I needed were the configuration files for the components
that I found in the \src\test directory of the security component (I
think it's the same for you and xmlrpc)

And that's all. I just wrote I servlet starting the container and then I
could get the components through getters methods.

Mike