Posted to user@zookeeper.apache.org by Aklin_81 <as...@gmail.com> on 2011/02/04 19:32:36 UTC

Using a synchronized counter that keeps track of no of users on the application & using it to allot UserIds/ keys to the new users after sign up

Hi all,

To generate new keys/ UserIds for new users on my application, I am
thinking of using a simple synchronized counter that can keep track of
the no. of users registered on my application and when a new user
signs up, he can be allotted the next available id.

Since I am using Cassandra, a distributed & evetually consistent DB,
it is difficult to implement this with it.

Can it be implemented with the help of zookeeper?

Please let me know your thoughts and suggesttions..

Regards
Asil

Re: Using a synchronized counter that keeps track of no of users on the application & using it to allot UserIds/ keys to the new users after sign up

Posted by Sam Tunnicliffe <sa...@beobal.com>.
Hi,

we use a simple server which is backed by zookeeper to generate sequential
numeric ids. You could give it a try and see if it fits your use case.

http://github.com/talis/H1

Cheers,
Sam