Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Diana Shannon <sh...@apache.org> on 2002/06/11 13:41:05 UTC

[doc] Call for doc contributors!

[FYI: sorry for xpost]

Did you know you can help improve Cocoon's documentation?

Right now, in the most recent CVS release branch and on the live site,
you'll find the resources you need to contribute new FAQs, How-Tos, and
Code Snippets to the Cocoon project. Specifically:

   How to author an FAQ (or set of FAQs)
   http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/howto/howto-author-faq.html

   How to author a How-To
   http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/howto/howto-author-howto.html

   How to author a Code Snippet
   http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/howto/howto-author-snippet.html

   How to submit your contribution via Bugzilla
   http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/howto/howto-bugzilla.html

   How to submit your contribution as a Patch
   http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/howto/howto-patch.html

We are taking a deliberately granular approach to facilitate
contributions from the widest range of Cocoon users. For example, once
guidelines are written, we will announce other types of documents you
can also contribute: Recipes, Success Stories, Tutorials, Live Examples,
etc. In other words, this is only the *beginning* of a new,
community-oriented approach to documentation development.

Cocoon is an immensely sophisticated piece of software. At times,
however, we all know it can be difficult to grok certain aspects of it.
Thus, the more voices that help to explain Cocoon, the better for
everyone. Carve out a niche for yourself as an author. If your
contribution is useful to others, it will be published the Cocoon's web
site! Just as Cocoon provides endless possibilities to build cool stuff,
it also affords us an unlimited amount of creative space to write about
it.

Take a minute to imagine how advanced the Cocoon community would become
if each and every Cocoon user took the time to contribute a single,
unique FAQ, How-To, or Snippet.

Think about it.

Diana

Re: [doc] Call for doc contributors!

Posted by Bernhard Huber <be...@a1.net>.
hi,
my reply is a bit late,
but i want to contribute some FAQs,
and want to suggest some "contributer-friendly" way to post
more FAQs.
Hence a suggestion to contribute FAQ
It might be easier for contributer to use this FAQ template:

<faq>
  <question>Your Question</question>
  <answer>
      Your answer...
      Your answer...
  </answer>
</faq>

Using the template might help new contributers to contribute at least a
question,
that some more experienced cocoon user might answer via the mailing list.
Of course patching, and adding need still to be done by some
contributers/commiters.

Some "real world" FAQ to give you an idea how to use the FAQ template,
you might notice that the last FAQ has a missing answer, can you answer it.

I hope this might help to contribute more FAQs.

bye bernhard

<faq>
  <question>How can I access a resource accessible via CLASSPATH?</question>
  <answer>
      You can you use Cocoon's protocol <code>resource://</code>. For
example you want
      to access a stylesheet stored in
<code>WEB-INF/classes/foo/bar.xsl</code>.
      You reference this resource via
<code>resource://foo/bar.xsl</code>. Thus
      in your xslt-transformer pipeline usage you write
      <source><![[CDATA[<map:tranform
src="resource://foo/bar.xsl"/>]]></source>
  </answer>
</faq>

<faq>
  <question>Where do I find Cocoon's log files?</question>
  <answer>
      Cocoon uses Avalon's Logkit for logging. The configuration of
      the logkit is defined in WEB-INF/logkit.xconf, by default.
      Configuring the logkit a context-parameter "context-root" is defined.
      You may use this context-parameter in the logkit configuration
      referencing it via <code>${context-root}</code>.
      If you deploy Cocoon in "directory exploded" mode "context-root"
      is set to the servlet context root.
      In case of deploying Cocoon as a war file, and depending on the
      servlet container, "context-root" is either set to the
      servlet-container choosen "directory exploded" location, or
      to the servlet-temporary directory.
  </answer>
</faq>

<faq>
  <question>How can I access Cocoon's log facility from an XSP
file?</question>
  <answer>
    Not answered, yet.
  </answer>