Posted to dev@openjpa.apache.org by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM> on 2007/10/04 19:17:39 UTC

Refreshing the site

openjpa.apache.org/mailing-lists.html was last updated in August. Is
the update supposed to be manual or automagic?

Craig

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: Refreshing the site

Posted by Marc Prud'hommeaux <mp...@apache.org>.
Craig-

Unfortunately, it seems that all of the pages that embed dynamic
content (like RSS feeds) need to be "touched" to force an update to
the content.

The cumbersome process is as follows:

1. Go to http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/openjpa/Mailing%
20Lists
2. Log in and edit the page. To make the process even more annoying,
Confluence is clever enough to ignore trivial whitespace changes
(e.g., adding a newline at the very end of the text). However, you
can add a newline before one of the "h2" sections, and that will
trigger the re-export process.
3. Observe that the exported page at http://cwiki.apache.org/openjpa/
mailing-lists.html now contains the most recent mailing list posts
4. Wait a couple hours, and then observe that the official mirror of
the confluence export at http://openjpa.apache.org/mailing-lists.html
now contains the most recent posts.

I don't know how other projects are handling this. I would think that
the best way to solve this would be to automatically re-export all of
the pages each night, but that would require some infra work. Perhaps
the ASF infra people might have suggestions for making this process a
little more automatic.

PS. There is actually another way to re-export *all* the pages on the
site, ensuring that all their embedded content is updated, but you
need confluence administrator access, which I don't think most people
have. You can do it going to http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/admin/
autoexport/configuration.action , selecting "OpenJPA" in the long
"Rebuild exported spaces" list, then clicking "Export space(s)".