Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Joseph Stein <cr...@gmail.com> on 2011/01/21 19:02:57 UTC

GeoIndexing in Cassandra, Open Sourced?

I hear that a bunch of folks have GeoIndexing built on top of Cassandra and
running in production.

Any of them open sourced (Twitter? SimpleGeo? Bueller?) planning on it?

/*
Joe Stein
http://www.linkedin.com/in/charmalloc
Twitter: @allthingshadoop
*/

Re: GeoIndexing in Cassandra, Open Sourced?

Posted by Jake Luciani <ja...@gmail.com>.
One possible open source approach would be to use the Solr 1.4 spatial
plugin[1] along with Solandra[2]

What kind of spatial searches are you looking for? basic bounding
box/radius?

[1] https://github.com/outoftime/solr-spatial-light
[2] https://github.com/tjake/lucandra

Posted by Ryan King <ry...@twitter.com>.

Posted by Joseph Stein <cr...@gmail.com>.

--

/*

Posted by Ryan King <ry...@twitter.com>.
On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 12:24 PM, Joseph Stein <cr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Ryan, Jake and Mike for the quick responses.
> I will mull through this weekend between engineering things from scratch or
> going the Solr/Solandra route as Jake points out is an option (and the
> effort/time related with introducing Solr into the mix).
> If there is any chance of Twitter or SimpleGeo open sourcing their
> GeoIndexing implementation for Cassandra let me know, I might be able to
> wait it out and would help contribute to make it usable for others too (and
> myself as well of course =8^)

I can't make any promises on open sourcing that.

-ryan

Re: GeoIndexing in Cassandra, Open Sourced?

Posted by Joseph Stein <cr...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Ryan, Jake and Mike for the quick responses.

I will mull through this weekend between engineering things from scratch or
going the Solr/Solandra route as Jake points out is an option (and the
effort/time related with introducing Solr into the mix).

If there is any chance of Twitter or SimpleGeo open sourcing their
GeoIndexing implementation for Cassandra let me know, I might be able to
wait it out and would help contribute to make it usable for others too (and
myself as well of course =8^)

Cheers!

--

/*