Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Christoph Steinbeck <st...@ice.mpg.de> on 2001/12/13 15:12:53 UTC

Performance of latest release of Jetspeed-1.3a2

Hi everybody,

I must say that this latest release of Jetspeed-1.3a2 is a great
achievement. I was able to run and configure it (including email
confirmation, etc.) within a few minutes.
Now, since we are planning to use this for a scientific database
front-end, I was wondering whether the relatively slow response times
that I get here, are

- due to a problem on my side, or
- a known problem, or
- a feature, not a bug :-)

and whether one can do anything about it.

I understand that if you have all these news feed portlets switched on,
the response can be slowed down due to non reachable sites somewhere
else.
Indeed, when I switched off all these feed-portlets, I could reduce the
time for a page to appear from several minutes to less then ten seconds.
But of course, that's still too slow. Are there some caching features,
that need to switched on, or anything else I can do about it?

Cheers,

Chris

--
Dr. Christoph Steinbeck (http://www.ice.mpg.de/departments/ChemInf)
MPI of Chemical Ecology, Winzerlaer Str. 10, Beutenberg Campus, 07745

What is man but that lofty spirit - that sense of enterprise.
... Kirk, "I, Mudd," stardate 4513.3..

Re: Performance of latest release of Jetspeed-1.3a2

Posted by Christoph Steinbeck <st...@ice.mpg.de>.
Paul Spencer wrote:

> Chris,
>
> Jetspeed uses files in the <jetspeed-home>/WEB-INF/templates/...
> directory to generate a page.  So you should be able to convert from
> nested frames to frames/iframes by editing those files.  I have seen
> some traffic on this list about using frames/iframes, but no one has
> contributed files that support frames/iframes.
>
> By the way, some sites use nested frames go encourage customer to use IE :(

I certainly never will.
But if the missing roaming access is no issue, the problems in 4.7x
might finally convince every user to switch to either Mozilla or the
gecko-based NS 6.x.

Cheers,

Chris

Re: .vm and psml

Posted by Frans Thamura <ft...@yahoo.com>.
I think you want to implement the .vm that will read several psml right??

I think in the mail-archive you can find how to implement role and
group...just it..

but, there is several bug, if you implement more than 1 pane in group or
role pane.

so, my tips is still make a convetional development, you must implement the
session user, so you can implement single sign-on (email if you success this
step also, i still stack...)

For this phase, Jetspeed is ideal only for main page development, and the
rest you must create it like develop portal..

But, if you can create a code that can read the psmls and put in you web
site, please post to this mail, esp from me, i am very thanks full...

Frans

Posted by Paul Spencer <pa...@apache.org>.
Lionel,

lionelfarr@yahoo.com wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Im creating an Intralink portal for my company.  My
> question is how do I get my default.vm to point to
> different psml files depending on the link that they
> clicked.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Lionel

.vm and psml

Posted by li...@yahoo.com.

Posted by Paul Spencer <pa...@apache.org>.
Chris,

Posted by Paul Spencer <pa...@apache.org>.
Chris,
Netscape fixed the nested table problem in v6.2, which is the browser I use.

Paul Spencer

Posted by Christoph Steinbeck <st...@ice.mpg.de>.
Paul,

Posted by Paul Spencer <pa...@apache.org>.